It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the maximum number of artifacts in a DNG change set for 6.0.3?

Bob 3 (1481564) | asked Apr 06 '17, 8:59 p.m.

I would like to know what is the maximum number of artifacts that can be included in a DNG 6.0.3 change set and successfully compared for delivery back into a stream? 

I imagine that the answer could be that there is no fixed limit; only that imposed by the limitations of the repository at large, hardware constraints, or what can be managed in a browser. Or it could be exactly 10,005! 

Thanks in advance!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Paul Ellis (1.3k613) | answered Apr 07 '17, 4:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Apr 07 '17, 5:17 a.m.

Hi,

As far as I am aware there is no arbitrary limit on the size of a cset.  The reason I am answering this though is I am eager to understand why you're asking. 

There is a limitation being addressed right now where thousands of artifacts, with thousands of links would impact you prior to 6.0.4.  This is detailed in defect 107873 where an architecture change is/was made.  The browser in question was also 32 bits, so a 64 bits one would be less affected.

Configuration Management is a long established discipline where a changeset roughly corresponds to a logical unit of change.  In the case of RM where changesets can be shared, this doesn't mean it is a unit completed by one person, but there needs to be some logic to the use of them.

In the case of large migrations or imports then you would typically do this at the start of a project and baseline as you wouldn't want to perform comparisons against this, it's just v_0.1 of your data.

However, yes, if you are talking in terms of "successfully compared for delivery back into a stream?" then this is very dependent on the size of your setup, changeset, load on the server at the time, browser, and data shape as you suspected.  Of course you may be experiencing a defect.  If your question was a simple, what's the limit then hopefully this reply is enough.

If you have a use case which is failing for you, could you elaborate? We can test it to see whether you've encountered an unknown defect. 

So, I think there will always be a limit where you find a breaking point in any product, but if you are hitting one on a reasonable spec for your data and on sizes you think should be fine, please let us know.

Kind regards,
Paul

Bob 3 selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.