It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the best way to configure a numeric data range in a work item?

Daniel Ruebush (9715987) | asked Mar 08 '16, 9:53 a.m.
Hi Everyone,

I am consulting with a team and need to add an attribute to all work item types called Quantity.  The

value range would be from 0 to 100.  What would be the best way to add this attribute. 

Would I create an enumeration?  I don't want to have a
Quantity only valid to just one attribute type that is really the same attribute and value.

The quantity shouldn't be a string.  It should be a numeric value.  So for all these different quantities it is really the same attribute. 

So one way would be to use an enumeration.  That way it would show up in any of the work items attribute section if added.      

I don't want to add all those enumerations.  I would rather   
use a numeric data type that could be a global attribute that would     
be available to add to any of the attributes. 

What are your suggestions?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Daniel Ruebush (9715987) | answered Mar 31 '16, 1:37 p.m.
I ended up creating a numeric range attribute with a integer range validator.
Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 08 '16, 9:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please read and consider https://jazz.net/library/article/1093 look at the available data types for attributes and consider a validator as well.

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813674) | answered Mar 08 '16, 10:27 a.m.
edited Mar 08 '16, 10:28 a.m.

Hi Daniel,

I guess it depends on what you want the attribute to do and how users/teams/projects will use it?

"Quality" is very generic and can potentially be different for each Work Item type;

If users are to input the value how do you provide guidance on the scale?

Enumerations can be simple and then you can easily group for reporting, Querying, Dashboards and the Icon's are very useful when using a plan / or list view to sort / order / group.

So for me it's the Requirements for the new attribute and how it support your process and reporting.

Just some of my thoughts.

Regards

Matt Muller

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.