It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Could I customize Defect name for work item?

jane zhou (106865) | asked Mar 07 '16, 6:08 a.m.

Currently, when I tried to create a new work item as Defect in RTC , it will assign "Defect + <Number>"  for me. (for example "Defect 90")
But for Jira, if you create a issue, it will generate ProjectName + Number, such as " XPROJECT-30". And when you use gerrit to submit patch, you need to use XPROJECT-30 as patch title, and then Jira will trace it to update the status and history, to include link from gerrit for the patch.

Since RTC only use general "Defect" as header by default but not project specific name as header, I am afraid it is hard to trace gerrit patch directly.

So I am wondering how RTC resolve the issue for syncing between gerrit since all projects' defects share the same name? Could I customize Defect name with project name included?

Thanks!

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 07 '16, 7:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 07 '16, 7:06 a.m.
From my perspective, having the project name and the item type and the like encoded in the summary of a work item is an awful crutch.

I don't know Jira good enough, but in RTC all this information is available in the work item in dedicated attributes that can be retrieved and examined by the API. The only information needed to identify the work item itself is the number/ID e.g. 30 in your example. All other information can be retrieved using the API and could actually change as well. E.g. a defect could become an enhancement request. It could be misfiled and might be moved to another project....

So your Gerrit integration should only need the work item ID and then be able to use the API to connect the repository and retrieve the data it needs. 

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Mar 07 '16, 10:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

On another thought, it would be possible to use a calculated value to calculate the information like type, id and other information into a work item attribute of type text, that you could also read in the integration.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.