It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

error message Permission denied on New Rank attribute When saving a WI

John S F Lander (901941) | asked Oct 05 '16, 1:19 p.m.
Error using FireFox RTC 4.0.7
We had a issue when ranking WIs within a Plan view, we needed to restrict who could do this as the ranking order was getting changed by users without the authority.
I created a new role of "Plan" and set the permission to this role for the Modify the "New Rank" attribute.
All works good on the plan and restricts as expected, however when a user updates a WI directly and want to change the "Filed Against" value then the error is generated as Permission denied for New Rank attribute

Comments
Donald Nong commented Oct 05 '16, 11:30 p.m.

Is it related to this post?
https://jazz.net/forum/questions/225544/restrictingpermission-who-can-rank-items-in-a-plan

What is the custom attribute "New Rank"?

One way you can check is do the same operation as a user with the permission and check the history and see what is changed about the attribute "New Rank".

John S F Lander commented Oct 06 '16, 4:25 a.m.

This is not a Custom attribute and is internal part of the Ranking function

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 06 '16, 2:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
My assumption would be that the rank is reset if you change the filed against (since the rank is plan related and you are moving the item out of the plan by changing its owner). If that is the case I have no solution.

Comments
Jürgen Brückler commented Aug 22 '18, 1:28 a.m.

@Ralph (and John Lander): 
We ware facing a similar problem, therefore I wanted to revive this question (and hopefully some new findings are shared by our community)...

Still (RTC 6.0.5) when changing the filed against-value of a ranked work item (to a category associated to a different team), this work item will show up in the new teams plan with a rank value I cannot explain and understand yet. Unfortunately the rank value will not be reset.

At the moment we either try to reset the rank value manually before changing the filed against-value (which is critical due to human faultiness ;-) ), or we let the owner of the new teams plan change the filed against value by himself (pull instead of push).

Is there any new knowledge about this issue?
Thanks,
Juergen

Ralph Schoon commented Aug 22 '18, 2:35 a.m. | edited Aug 22 '18, 2:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

This is obviously not the same question and I am not sure what the question really is. It is not really related to the version the original question is about.

I would suggest to create your own question. Another possible way would be asking support.

I have not really looked into ranking and I am not sure what the expected behavior would be changing filed against. Something else to consider is that some plans are across multiple filed against as well.

permanent link
John S F Lander (901941) | answered Oct 06 '16, 4:26 a.m.
To clarify which is the same is my thoughts
Even though i am not in a Plan and I am updating the WI directly, because i am changing the the Team area via the filed against field i am potentially changing the Rank order in the Plan by moving to a different Team
I understand why this would be the case but is difficult to work around

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.