It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM Diagnostics - Background Task Error

Leire Torres (36721) | asked Feb 24 '16, 4:06 a.m.
Hello,

I have upgraded RQM from version 5.0.2 to version 6.0.1 and the following error appears in the Diagnostics section:
Background Task
ERROR Last executed: 2/24/16, 8:36 AM
CRJAZ1991E The task "com.ibm.team.repository.Defect140238RepairTask" has failed with an unexpected error which has caused it to be unscheduled. Please check your server logs for details. Once you have addressed the issues, you should restart the server to reschedule this background task.
I have checked the log file and the following appears:
2016-02-19 14:33:12,490 [qm: AsynchronousTaskRunner-0 @@ 14:33] ERROR com.ibm.team.repository                             - CRJAZ0852I An exception occurred while executing the task "Defect140238RepairTask", contributed by component "com.ibm.team.repository".  The task will be removed from the schedule.
java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.dataaccess.AbstractSerializedDocumentMediatorService.fetchState(AbstractSerializedDocumentMediatorService.java:272)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.dataaccess.MediatorServiceDelegator.fetchState(MediatorServiceDelegator.java:171)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.dataaccess.MediatorServiceDelegator.fetchState(MediatorServiceDelegator.java:171)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.RdbRepositoryDataMediator.fetchStateBypassCache(RdbRepositoryDataMediator.java:2583)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.RdbRepositoryDataMediator.fetchStateBypassCache(RdbRepositoryDataMediator.java:2568)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.RdbRepositoryDataMediator.fetchStateBypassCache(RdbRepositoryDataMediator.java:2559)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.repair.Defect140238Repairer$1.run(Defect140238Repairer.java:301)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.repair.Defect140238Repairer$1.run(Defect140238Repairer.java:1)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.rdb.RepositoryDatabase$Transaction.run(RepositoryDatabase.java:568)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.rdb.RepositoryDatabase$1.run(RepositoryDatabase.java:343)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.rdb.ConnectionPoolService.withNewDeferredConnection(ConnectionPoolService.java:551)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.rdb.ConnectionPoolService.withCurrentDeferredConnection(ConnectionPoolService.java:569)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor205.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:56)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:620)
    at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:361)
    at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.access$0(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:347)
    at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord$ExportedServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:56)
    at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy740.withCurrentDeferredConnection(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.rdb.RepositoryDatabase.runTransaction(RepositoryDatabase.java:340)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.rdb.RepositoryDatabase.runInTransaction(RepositoryDatabase.java:289)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.PrimitiveTransactionService.runInTransaction(PrimitiveTransactionService.java:101)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor203.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:56)
    at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:361)
    at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord.access$0(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:347)
    at org.eclipse.soda.sat.core.internal.record.ExportProxyServiceRecord$ExportedServiceInvocationHandler.invoke(ExportProxyServiceRecord.java:56)
    at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy774.runInTransaction(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.TransactionService.runInTransaction(TransactionService.java:45)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor260.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy1061.runInTransaction(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.repair.Defect140238Repairer.queryForAndRepairBrokenAttributes(Defect140238Repairer.java:276)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.repair.Defect140238Repairer.queryForAndRepairBrokenAttributes(Defect140238Repairer.java:180)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.repair.Defect140238Repairer.repairItems(Defect140238Repairer.java:141)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.repair.Defect140238RepairTask.runTask(Defect140238RepairTask.java:52)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.async.AbstractAutoScheduledTask.executeTask(AbstractAutoScheduledTask.java:96)
    at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor249.invoke(Unknown Source)
    at com.sun.proxy.$Proxy1099.executeTask(Unknown Source)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.scheduler.AsynchronousTaskRunner.runTask(AsynchronousTaskRunner.java:185)
    at com.ibm.team.repository.service.internal.scheduler.AsynchronousTaskRunner.run(AsynchronousTaskRunner.java:138)
    at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:809)

The error is aparently solved when the server is restarted, but then appears again and again. What could be the issue and what can I do to solve it?

Thanks in advance!

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 24 '16, 5:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
A reasonable approach would be to open a PMR with support.

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21109138) | answered Feb 25 '16, 1:11 a.m.
Hi, Leire

If you need a full investigation, please contact support as Ralph suggested.

We had seen some similar issue which was caused by database connection being lost when this error was reported.
And the below technote helps in that scenario:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21573776
You may want to give it a try.

permanent link
Michael Stucchi (1368) | answered Mar 01 '16, 9:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I had this same error on my 6.0.1 iFix 1 server.    I installed iFix 2a and restarted to fix my problem.    The message is now gone.

Comments
Leire Torres commented Mar 02 '16, 6:39 a.m. | edited Mar 02 '16, 6:39 a.m.

Hi Michael, thanks for the response.

I already have the iFix 2a installed. Have you installed also the Data Collection Component update and the Lifecycle Query Engine update? Or only the server (CLM) update?

When I start the server the error does not appear, but after some time reappears.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Stucchi commented Mar 02 '16, 2:59 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have DCC installed with iFix 2a but I don't use LQE.    Mine does not re-appear yet.    I would log a PMR with the IBM Support team.

Michael Stucchi commented Apr 25 '16, 10:15 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I just upgraded to 6.0.1 iFix 4 and the message has come back.    I am going to log a PMR ticket with IBM support.

Leire Torres commented Apr 25 '16, 11:31 a.m.

Hi Michael,

I opened a PMR ticket with IBM support at the same time I posted the problem here. They have not provided a solution yet. I would really apreciate if you share the solution.
Hope you're luckier with the technical support.

Michael Stucchi commented May 03 '16, 4:32 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

It looks like there is a NPE (Null Pointer Exception) shortly after the system starts up which is causing the problem.  Support is looking into why the NPE is happening.

Leire Torres commented May 11 '16, 3:19 a.m.

Thanks for the update Michael, let´s see if they provide us a solution.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.