It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Understanding the version ID in history

Nicolas Dangeville (31632425) | asked Dec 02 '15, 11:25 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have a question from a customer.

They are looking at the history of a source file in a stream , and have extended the scope with "show all in repository".

Here's the result:

history of a file in all repo

Q1: why aren't the number in sequence (why are we missing 2, 4, 6, 7, 9, 14, 15, 17) ? We are seeing all in repository here.

Q2: Why is version 8 showing up twice ?

Thanks !

Nicolas (on behalf of Claude)

Accepted answer

permanent link
Andrew Niefer (7135) | answered Dec 02 '15, 11:33 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Q1.  Missing numbers are likely intermediate states.

As you work, you may check a file into the same active change set multiple times, each check-in will be a new id.  You can select the drop down menu in the top right of the view and choose "Show Check-in History" to get a new section in the bottom of the view which will show the intermediate states for the selected change.

Q2: Version 8 is showing up twice because the change set on Nov 4 did a "Resolve with Mine" for a conflict.  This is also shown by the dotted line on the merge graph.
Nicolas Dangeville selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Nicolas Dangeville commented Dec 02 '15, 11:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Ok, so here's how we understand it.

The developer has started his work on v10. He has checked-in twice (v14 and v15). Then he has accepted v13 in v15 and it has created v16 which resolves the conflict. Correct ?

How do we explain that v16 is from 5:22 in the check-in history and from 5:36 in the history of the file ? Is 5:36 when the change set was completed at 5:36 ?

Thanks !

Andrew Niefer commented Dec 02 '15, 1:03 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I suspect that version 16 is a new check-in that came after the conflict was resolved.  The conflict appears to be "resolved with mine" to stay on version 15.

You are correct that 5:36 will be the time that the change set was completed.  5:22 is the last check-in time for that file, the change set may contain changes to other files not shown here

One other answer

permanent link
Claude MOUREY (9811) | answered Dec 02 '15, 11:29 a.m.
Thanks Nicolas ! I wasn't able to upload the picture, but this is my question !

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.