It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 5.0.2 plan throw java exception Null Pointer after a new work item type is created

Richard Guzdek (112) | asked Nov 23 '15, 12:15 p.m.

Hi,

We created a new work item type.  This Work Item Type is called Epic, we use to have a work item typed named Epic but was renamed to Capability.  However we kept the existing ID that had Epic in it.

Steps

We were asked to create a new Work Item Type called "Epic".  We created the type using a different ID containing the word Epic in its name example com.ibm.workitemtype.Epic "this is" the id associated with the Capability Work Item.  The new Work Item type Epic was created with the following id com.ibm.workitem.epic.

After we did these steps all plans stopped working, they could not be loaded with Java Null exceptions.

The stack trace gave

Workitemtype  serialization java errors.

We work in closed environment so providing the stack trace is not a trivial thing.

Any ideas why this may occur?  I appreciate any insight why this may happening.

thanks!

/Rich and Nan

One answer

permanent link
Chao Wang (235312) | answered Nov 23 '15, 12:43 p.m.
Hi Richard,
It is hard to tell what is wrong with out the full error. What you also check is to see if ccm.log shows any more specific errors. Since you mentioned new work item type was created and also changes was made to an existing work item type, I found this:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21575426
Not sure this is the issue. Take a look at the stack trace and see if they are the same.

Another thing you can try is to revert the changes you made and see if it starts to work again. Then change the work item type one step at a time and then do test in between. This way we can at least figure out which change caused NPE.(e.g. change the Epic(original) Work item first, then test. If everything is OK the the issue is probably with the new work item that was created.) When you are creating the new Work item, make sure the workflow is assigned. I have seen other issues where the problem was caused by no workflow assigned.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.