It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to force the artifact type of a imported module when migrating from Doors 9.6.1 to DNG 6.01?

frederick carter (451217) | asked Nov 16 '15, 6:20 p.m.
edited Nov 16 '15, 7:43 p.m.
When I used the new migration features of Doors 9.6.1 to migrate a couple modules to DNG 6.01, 1). The artifact type of the migrated modules was NOT Module,  the artifact type was a derived name from a combination of the the doors folder path where the module resided, and the name module of the doors module, followed by the text "_module".

In other words, the artifact type became <doors_folder_path><doors_module name><"_module">

because this artifact type never existed, the resulting module did not have requirements nor headers artifacts in it the artifacts that came over in the module or of type text or png . 

how can i force the imported modules to be of an artifact type (and structure) that I pre-define, so that i get the appropriate structure and artifact types within them ?

the steps I took to migrate the modules from Doors 9.6.1 to dng 6.01
1. Created a Migration package in Doors 9.6.1
- selected  3 modules

2. Exported the migration package from doors 9.6.1
it large created a large export package with a .migiz  extension. 

3. From dng 6.01 , imported the doors export package using the " " dng 6.01 feature

4.  after about 6 hours , I assumed the import was completed , because artifacts appeared in my browse artifacts folders

Comments
Keith Collyer commented Dec 16 '15, 8:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't know what the rules are for creating types on import, the following is based on my experience.
Module types seem to be assigned as you describe, though once a type is defined it seems to be used for at least some other modules that have the same attributes.
The same seems to occur for artifacts in modules, they seem to get a type name "<module name> - Object". Again, once defined, this type gets reused for artifacts with the same attributes from other modules. I ended up with a bunch of artifacts in all sorts of modules assigned the type "Risk - Object" because this was the first module migrated where no additional attributes had been defined on the objects.
I'm not sure if that helps

One answer

permanent link
Bob 3 (1481564) | answered Jun 26 '18, 7:13 p.m.

Frederick, you'll need to identify the exact name of the artifact type you want the modules and/or objects to "land" as in DNG. Then, in DOORS classic, create an attribute (both module and object scope) of single select enumerated type where the enumerations are the exact artifact names mentioned previously. For the DOORS module(s) to be migrated, choose the correct value for the attribute that corresponds to the desired destination artifact type. For the DOORS objects, choose the correct value for the attribute that corresponds to the desired destination artifact type(s). Then, on the third page of the DNG "Import Artifacts" wizard, type the attribute name in both of the fields (Module and Object). This is how you accomplish the artifact type mapping from DOORS classic to DNG.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.