It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I use an external Client to connect to a Test RTC server (configured to see itself as prod)

michael entler (171226) | asked Oct 28 '15, 5:57 p.m.

I have a server for testing my upgrade to 5 and then to 6.x (from 3.x)

It is setup with copies of the prod DBs and has a host file that redirects the prod server URi back to the test server.

This works fine for testing the server, but I want to test clients on our main network accessing this test instance.

Can I simply connect to this test server by IP address with out risking my prod instance?

i.e. I know the test server can't hit prod or the dbs by the Uri, but can the client redirect any communication to the PROD instance, even though it's pointing to the test server ip?

e.g.  Client connects to test IP address Https://168.72.1.1:9443/ccm (test server)

Test server and test dbs all think they are Https://RTChost:9443/jazz.

Will they redirect any of the clients connections to the actual prod instance and therefore threaten the prod server/dbs?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Marek Siekierski (817510) | answered Oct 28 '15, 6:36 p.m.
Hi Michael,

You can spoof the hostname on the local machine in the hosts file so that the public URI host points to the test server as well instead of connecting by the IP address. The server will also make requests referencing the public URI, but as long as you have the hosts file on the test server redirecting the public URI of prod back to the test server, this sounds okay to me. Your other users will continue to hit the DNS hostname and work with prod while the clients with the modified host files will hit the test server.
michael entler selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
michael entler commented Oct 29 '15, 3:48 p.m. | edited Oct 29 '15, 3:49 p.m.

Thanks!

I actually found this as well before reading this answer:

https://jazz.net/help-dev/clm/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.jazz.install.doc%2Ftopics%2Froadmap_clm_upgrade.html

I can't believe I didn't think of this!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.