It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Tracks/Contributes vs Parent/Child link in Cross-Project planning

Josip Osrecki (113) | asked Oct 26 '15, 7:53 a.m.
edited Oct 26 '15, 10:30 a.m.
 Hi everybody,

I've started working for a new client that has following setup:
- One Formal and one Agile project area
- Most of the users have read rights on all PAs
- Milestones from Formal have both Tracks and Parent links to Epics in Agile PA. The reason is, from what I understood, that without Parent/Child link the data for planned story points/hours could not be seen from Formal PA.
- There is a Cross Project Plan in Formal PA that is used for tracking both projects. As far as I know this is not the intended setup, but we should have third PA that tracks Formal and Agile PAs. This will be hard to achieve since the client has everything setup and every change requires a lot of effort.

My question is:
If 2 projects are linked properly via "Provides Change Requirements" link (and therefore every person with read rights can create either Parent/Child or Tracks/Contributes link) what are the benefits of "Tracked" link in Cross project planning compared to Parent/Child? I see there is some additional info on Gantt chart but that is about it.

Thank you!

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.