It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Re-prompted for login after 2 hours

Nick Ranns (2347) | asked Jan 02 '13, 4:53 p.m.
retagged Jan 04 '13, 9:46 a.m. by Jerry Shengulette (63914)
 Hello,

While utilizing the CLM application (RQM, RRC and CCM), it appears that the user is automatically re-prompted for login after 2 hours of use; no matter the activity of the user.  Is this true?  If so, is the client able to turn this capability off?  Maybe only prompt for login after 1 hour of inactivity, for example.

Thanks,

Nick

Comments
Guido Schneider commented Jan 03 '13, 4:41 a.m.

We  have same issue since beginning of working with Jazz.
We are using WAS with LDAP integration into MS AD and with floating licenses on the same server than WAS and Jazz is installed.

I never was able to evaluate the problem. It can happen in middle of working e.g. pressing the save button and you get a login page.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 03 '13, 5:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Guido,

have you contacted support? We have seen something similar during a performance test at a customer. In that case it was related to expiring LTPA tokens. They are used  for single sign on with WAS. I think they should be renewed. They have a default timeout. I would look for that in the Application logs as well as in the Application Server Logs. Here is an article about LTPA: http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/websphere/techjournal/0607_desprets/0607_desprets.html

Another item that has been discussed in similar cases is infrastructure. Apparently there are settings in Network infrastructure that can disconnect connections after some timeout, especially if they are idle.

3 answers

permanent link
Mark Blaschke (1636) | answered Oct 30 '13, 2:06 p.m.
edited Nov 16 '13, 9:31 a.m.
This problem, for WAS implementations is specific to the LTPA token time out value. The default is 120 minutes.
This is not actually logging the user off, but asking to re-validate the user credentials.

If you have a keyboard-less display like a monitor of the dashboard this re-prompting will never occur, since there is no keyboard interacting with the monitor.

The setting is easy is change from the WAS admin console:
Security->Global Security ; LTPA (on the right side column). LTPA -> token timeout ( located in the center of the screen ).

When I determine where this setting is in Tomcat I will update this entry.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Oct 30 '13, 2:49 p.m.

See the Deployment Wiki entry on WAS Tuning.

Robert Carter commented May 20 '16, 9:40 a.m.

Is there a setting for Liberty Profile as well?

permanent link
Erica Tran (1.4k7) | answered Nov 15 '13, 7:50 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is also a 2 hour license timeout.  Could this be what you're seeing?

Technote:  How to change the timeout value using floating licenses on Rational Team Concert
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21396860

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Nov 18 '13, 2:50 a.m.

No, the license gets renewed without login. You have either an infrastructure issue with idle connections being cut or, if you are using WAS, you see the LTPA timeout. See the Deployment Wiki entry on WAS Tuning for how to address that.

Larry McCarthy commented Jan 02 '15, 3:44 p.m. | edited Jan 02 '15, 3:44 p.m.

Ralph's link looks like it was the victim of a reorg. Maybe https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/ConfiguringAndTuningWAS is current?

permanent link
Guido Schneider (3.4k1486115) | answered May 20 '16, 9:46 a.m.

For Liberty:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!--
   GuS
 -->
<server>
    <ltpa keysFileName="D:/CM-Administration/liberty-cfg/ltpa-key.key"
             keysPassword="{xor}Pjw8Oidgjiojrt9gH5490"
             expiration="1200m"
    />
    <webAppSecurity ssoRequiresSSL="true" ssoDomainNames="mydomain.com" />
</server>

Comments
Guido Schneider commented May 20 '16, 10:03 a.m.

(Is there a trick to upload XML content, so it is correctly displayed?)

Ralph Schoon commented May 23 '16, 2:41 a.m.

I have not found it yet. I would expect the brackets to get escaped but that does not always work.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.