It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Delivering change sets from another users repository workspace

Muhammad Moid (141534) | asked Oct 16 '15, 6:38 a.m.
edited Oct 16 '15, 8:34 a.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)

My Scenario:

I have one Team in which there are two users (User1 has developer & team lead role and User2 has developer only). I want User1 as a team lead to deliver things to the stream and prevent User2 from delivering things to stream.

Can I deliver User2 change sets residing in his repository workspace to the stream from User1 ?

Regards,
Muhammad Moid

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 16 '15, 7:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The repository workspace is exclusively owned by the user. Another user has only read permission on it and CAN NOT deliver from it. You can accept changes from work items into your own repository and then deliver them.
Note, you might consider creating a repository workspace from user2's repo workspace. This will not necessarily do what you want to achieve. Unless the change sets are all completed (which only user 1 can do), you might miss some information.

I don't know what good reason one could have for this approach. I personally think this is likely to be a process behavior that indicates that the organization is broken and someone tries to fix the broken organization with a tool - which almost always fails.

There might be reasons to do something like this in very special cases, but from my perspective that would be the unusual case. One case where this is used is for backporting changes.

A better approach would be to have a stream, where the developers deliver against and the integrator accepts the incoming changes into his repository workspace and then delivers to his integration stream.

Muhammad Moid selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Muhammad Moid commented Oct 16 '15, 8:15 a.m.

So, I need to create two streams. One stream (Team stream) will be for all the team members to deliver their changes sets and on the top there will be another stream (Integration stream) in which only team lead would have access to deliver all the changes. 

We will be creating the final releases from the Integration stream.Am I right? 

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 16 '15, 8:35 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes. Please note that chsnge sets can be dependent (contain changes to the same file), in which case the integrator could get gaps and might have to accept another change st as well.

Also Note: please always tag your questions with a product e.g rational-team-concert

Muhammad Moid commented Oct 16 '15, 9:10 a.m.

Okay and Thank you Ralph

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.