It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to copy complete data from Parent work item to its child work items in RTC

Sajjad Ali Khan (314152) | asked Sep 16 '15, 4:02 p.m.
Hi All,

I have requirement to create customized work item of Change Request in which i need to set multiple centers(Locations) on which the same Change Request will be deployed for this i will be creating child work items equivalent to selected centers of the Change Request work item because every center would have a different workflow BUT the problem is when the Change Request reach to Approved state then i need start workflow of child work item and for that reason i need to first copy complete data which is inside Parent Change Request work item to all the child work items automatically.

I hope problem is stated correctly, kindly please me out guys to implement such requirement.

Regards,
SAJJAD.

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Sep 16 '15, 5:17 p.m.
there is no mechanism to do what you want built in.  a Workitem Template can create a set of workitems,  but it is pre-confiured to be the exact same set each time.

you will have to write some extension. I don't think you can do all that with a javascript extension, only java

permanent link
Sajjad Ali Khan (314152) | answered Sep 17 '15, 1:44 a.m.
sam detweiler
Thanks for replying but my problem is not related to work-item template my problem is when the Change Request reach to Approved state then i need start workflow of child work item and for that reason i need to first copy complete data which is inside Parent Change Request work item to all the child work items automatically.

Regards
SAJJAD

Comments
sam detweiler commented Sep 17 '15, 6:20 a.m.

Yes, I understand.. you will have to write an extension to do all that

Sajjad Ali Khan commented Sep 17 '15, 6:55 a.m.

sam detweiler
Do you have any kind of helping material for such kind of requirement actually i have a developer but i don't know how to start, what is the procedure for writing extension for such requirement and its really difficult to make developer understand about how he can  implement such requirement.

I will be grateful to you if you have any document/guide etc then please send to the sajjadalikhan@msn.com

sam detweiler commented Sep 17 '15, 7:02 a.m. | edited Sep 17 '15, 7:04 a.m.

see the extensions workshop

https://jazz.net/library/article/1000

the hardest part of the development process is learning the class library, which is not documented for server side extensions.  Ralph has a good blog with lots of examples of pieces you will need.
https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.