It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to restrict server admin access to projects on RTC

Nigel Hopper (1032625) | asked Sep 16 '15, 9:01 a.m.
edited Sep 16 '15, 9:03 a.m.
 Hope it is an interesting problem. We have our Jazz servers centrally hosted. As far as I can tell/remember, the server admins have access to everything.

We'd like a server where the server admin has access to everything to run the server, upgrade it and fix bugs, but not to see the content of projects that have been set to access by members only.

If they need a project to investigate bugs, test something, then we would have an open one they could access.

The reason is due to the fact that we want to run projects for people who are restricted to a very limited number of users and the server admins would not be among them.

Options we have considered are:
 - Potentially we could run the server ourselves, but we have neither the skills or the hardware at the moment and these guys are the experts.
- Restricting the number of admins to perhaps 1 and have them disclosed on the projects. Not all project managers are happy with this as the projects are need to know and in this case they do not need to know, it is just a precaution for them to be disclosed

Grateful for any suggestions.

One answer

permanent link
Kunal Doddanavar (45222732) | answered Sep 16 '15, 9:40 a.m.
 Hi Nigel,
              Here are some of the options:

1. Do not add the server admins to any of the project areas. This will just give access to RTC and not to any projects or its contents. SO server admins can do their admin activities and will also be unable to access RTC data.
2. You may need to add the server admins to all of the projects as members with 'Team Member' role ONLY during the upgrade of RTC setup. These can be revoked immediately after the upgrade.

-Kunal

Comments
Nigel Hopper commented Sep 17 '15, 4:18 a.m.

Hi Kunal, Thanks, but we have conflicting information as to your first point. Some say this is the case and others say no, but we are just waiting for a server to try this. I am definitely sure that an admin can add themselves to a project (I've done it myself in the past!), Just trying to check if there were any server settings that might enforce this. Cheers, Nigel.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.