It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to use Perl engine in BF 8?

Jirong Hu (1.5k9290258) | asked Sep 15 '15, 12:43 p.m.
edited Sep 15 '15, 1:55 p.m.
Where can I find document on this? What are the list of parameters can be passed in, and means what? I learnt:
1. bfengine.exe -d to start the engine foreground.
2. bfengine.exe -p to start the perl engine

We are migrating from v7 to v8. On windows we also installed the bf mgmt console as a service. so what do I need to run in order to run project with perl engine? Do I need to run both bfengine.exe -p and bfengine.exe -b?  "Can I run perl engine as a service?

If I only run "bfengine -p", I got this, and can't login to mgmt console:
9/15/2015 1:30:31 PM: CRRBF1388I: 4392: Services: Error Connecting to Build Forge Services [BuildForge::Ex::IOException:
 Unable to connect to jxn-ms-bforgd01.hbc.com:3966: Bad file descriptor
].

If I only run "bfengine -d", the job is in the starting stage, doesn't run.

If I run both "bfengine -d" and "bfengine -p", I got license exceed the count error, we only have one engine license.

Thanks
Jirong

Accepted answer

permanent link
Pritesh Patel (12246) | answered Sep 23 '15, 7:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Jirong,

Just wanted to let you know, that I worked with your colleague on that PMR. There may have been some misunderstanding because the Perl Engine does indeed work in v8. As Spencer points out it is pretty straightforward and we have a number of clients running the perl engine with v8, as an intermediate gap before converting over to the Java engine. 

However in the PMR the perl engine was started, but the existing perl projects were not building. When it was suggested that we pursue this further, your colleague elected not to pursue it further at this time since Java projects were working. 

If you want to pursue it further, please let me know and we can re-open the PMR and pick up from where we had left off. We'll just need to gather some logs to analyze this further. The logs that we'd need are outlined here:

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSB2MV_8.0.0/com.ibm.rational.buildforge.doc/topics/diag_bf_deflogs.html?lang=en

I look forward to hearing from you. 

Many thanks,
Pritesh...

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Spencer Murata (2.3k115971) | answered Sep 22 '15, 10:38 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Here is the help topic on this:
http://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSB2MV_8.0.0/com.ibm.rational.buildforge.doc/topics/admin_engine_startstop_win.html

It's fairly straightforward.  You override the default Java engine and then use the system setting to make sure that all future BF steps default to the perl engine.

~Spencer

Comments
Jirong Hu commented Sep 22 '15, 11:11 a.m.

1. It doesn't work, we have a PMR open: PMR 33928,442,000

2. we can't run it in a command window. must run as a service at least.

So we can't use perl engine in v8, have to use Java engine.

permanent link
bob mccormack (1112) | answered Sep 17 '19, 1:59 a.m.

Starting the perl engine in a windows Server 2016 environment is an issue to me, I launch it from a power shell as bfengine -p.  Projects are indeed not starting in my V8 Build Forge console

The above reference to the need logs no longer works.

Q1. should I increase my license count

Q2. should I start the Perl Engine first

Q3. should I start bfengine -d as a service rather than a foreground task?

any feedback most welcomed

Bob McCormack

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Sep 17 '19, 4:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

There is no point in answering a 5 year old question with your own question. 

I would suggest to create a new question (or convert the answer to one). The answer from development above probably holds true and you might want to consider opening a case wih support.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.