It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error 500 accessing web Administration Panel Buildforge 8.0

Stephen Wright (611) | asked Oct 01 '13, 11:20 a.m.
After installing Buildforge 8.0 from jazz.net, encountering the following error when attempting to access the Administration panel in the WebUI (at http://URL/fullcontrol/index.php?mod=administration):
 [Tue Oct 01 16:01:36 2013] [error] [client ****] PHP Warning:  fclose() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given in /opt/buildforge/webroot/public/javascripts/translator.js.php on line 29, referer: http://URL/fullcontrol/index.php?mod=administration&action=system.view
[Tue Oct 01 16:01:36 2013] [error] [client ****] PHP Warning:  filemtime(): stat failed for /opt/buildforge/webroot/templates_c/language.en_US.js in /opt/buildforge/webroot/public/javascripts/translator.js.php on line 35, referer: http://URL/fullcontrol/index.php?mod=administration&action=system.view
[Tue Oct 01 16:01:36 2013] [error] [client ****] PHP Warning:  date(): It is not safe to rely on the system's timezone settings. You are *required* to use the date.timezone setting or the date_default_timezone_set() function. In case you used any of those methods and you are still getting this warning, you most likely misspelled the timezone identifier. We selected 'Europe/London' for 'BST/1.0/DST' instead in /opt/buildforge/webroot/public/javascripts/translator.js.php on line 37, referer: http://URL/fullcontrol/index.php?mod=administration&action=system.view
[Tue Oct 01 16:01:36 2013] [error] [client ****] PHP Warning:  readfile(/opt/buildforge/webroot/templates_c/language.en_US.js): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /opt/buildforge/webroot/public/javascripts/translator.js.php on line 38, referer: http://URL/fullcontrol/index.php?mod=administration&action=system.view
[Tue Oct 01 16:09:32 2013] [error] [client ****] PHP Warning:  file_put_contents(/tmp/uploads/column_type_cachemysqli8.000000): failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /opt/buildforge/webroot/includes/BFColumnTypeCache.php on line 103
[Tue Oct 01 16:09:32 2013] [error] [client ****] PHP Warning:  Invalid error type specified in /opt/buildforge/webroot/includes/CentralController.php on line 391
[Tue Oct 01 16:09:32 2013] [error] [client ****] PHP Notice:  Undefined property: CentralController::$column_cache in /opt/buildforge/webroot/includes/CentralController.php on line 395
[Tue Oct 01 16:09:32 2013] [error] [client ****] PHP Fatal error:  Call to a member function getSpecialQuery() on a non-object in /opt/buildforge/webroot/modules/BFQueryBuilder/BFQueryBuilder.php on line 643
The tomcat webapp is set up as a cnamed vhost from the FQDN of the server (which itself is a RHEL 6.4 VM), and looks like the following:

<VirtualHost *:80>
        ServerAdmin **
        DocumentRoot /opt/buildforge/webroot/public
        ServerName buildforge.***.com
        ServerAlias buildforge* buildforge.*

<Directory />
                Options FollowSymLinks
                AllowOverride All
        </Directory>
        <Directory /opt/buildforge/webroot/public>
                Options Indexes FollowSymLinks MultiViews
                AllowOverride All
                Order allow,deny
                allow from all
        </Directory>
        ErrorLog /var/log/buildforge_web.error_log
        CustomLog /var/log/buildforge_web.access_log common
</VirtualHost>

I have no idea where to go from here.  I cannot even get 7.1.3.5 or 7.1.3.4 to install because when trying to set up MySQL, I cannot progress as the test connection disappears and I can't move forward in the install steps

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ryan Ruscett (1.0k413) | answered Oct 01 '13, 12:31 p.m.
edited Oct 01 '13, 12:54 p.m.
 Hello.

It appeared something has happened during the installation. It would not be clear without the install logs etc. For that I would recommend a PMR.

BUT as far as not being able to install 7.1.3.4 or 7.1.3.5. You are having a known issue with IBM Installation Manager. Those two version of Build Forge, we recommend IIM 1.5. This is to be a known working version of IIM for the installation of Build Forge 7.1.3.4 and 7.1.3.5. If you install IIM 1.5 and try to install either BF versions. You should be able to succeed. 

My recommendation would be to use IIM to uninstall BF. There may be some files left over in the BF_Home directory. Just force remove those directories. In the var/Installation Manager directory, there are uninstall executables. Depending on if you installed via CLI or not. My guess with Linux is that you did a CLI install or installc. So you will want to do an uninstallc. Then go to jazz.net and re-install IIM version 1.5. Try again. 

If you do open a PMR. Please remember to send us the response file you are using to install BF if using command line, (which isn't likely since you are failing at a db test. But either way never hurts to ask) as well as the previous installation logs. You can find those and more at the IBM info center for IBM Installation Manager. 

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Ryan
Stephen Wright selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Stephen Wright commented Oct 02 '13, 8:59 a.m.

Awesome, thankyou :) Managed to get 7.1.3.5 to install using this method, and although I had the same issue with the Administration module, sorted that out as well by manually working through the PHP errors (turned out to be combination of lack of language files in templates_c (didn't install them for some reason??) , date.timezone not being set in php.ini, and incorrect permissions on /tmp/uploads)

3 other answers

permanent link
praveen patidar (8613344) | answered Feb 25 '14, 10:49 p.m.
 With me the Build Forge 7.1.2 is working in Firefox and Chrome but not in the IE. the immediate redirection page appears and Error 500. Not sure why it is happening with My IE only. other users can access the URL easily. 

permanent link
Ryan Ruscett (1.0k413) | answered Feb 26 '14, 7:44 a.m.
edited Feb 26 '14, 7:46 a.m.
 Hello,

If I were to approach this issue and try to break it down. I would start with where is the error coming from? The 500 error is a server error being displayed in IE. All other browsers work. So it must be something with how IE is processing the page. By your comment it is not clear if other peoples IE's are working too or if it's just yours. We can take a two prong approach. 

1. All other browsers work except your one instance of IE. Meaning your co-workers IE's work and only yours does not. 
       A. I would first check the version of IE that you are using and make sure that it's a supported version. For IBM products are required to support FF but not always other browsers (At least I think). It could be that your co-workers are using a different version of IE than you and you may need to roll back. 

2. Your IE and all other browsers work and NONE of your co-workers IE's are working either. 
      A. I would check to see if you have requirements to maintain a certain version of IE. Meaning that everyone accessing BF must have the same version and it's not a supported version. 

B. APPLIES TO EITHER OPTION ABOVE
You can turn off the Friendly HTTP error messages. This will make it so IE does not suppress a potential error message that could be useful to figuring out what this issue is. For the sake of time, you can google it to get a better understanding of it. 

Let us know if this helps. 
Thanks!!!

permanent link
praveen patidar (8613344) | answered Feb 26 '14, 7:35 p.m.
edited Feb 26 '14, 7:49 p.m.

Understand your point. With the deselection of HTTP friendly messages I got the error as

Error 500: java.lang.NullPointerException

Irritating me as comp not allowing other browsers but anyways I am using it. One thing I observed in the Firefox. While using build forge its crashing after sometime. And its happening only when I am using build forge urls.

Chrome thank god working fine till now. In the logs no where I found any crap issue.

One more point is, it is happening with both build forge servers I have. Means something really configured in the my IE only. All company guys using same IE so that I dont think an issue.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.