It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I link a word document in server folder to a work item?

Rakefet Berger (43215) | asked Sep 02 '15, 2:07 p.m.
 Hi,

I want to enable users to point on documents  which is managed in folders in the company servers (not in RTC).
I tried to do it by separate attribute of type HTML and also from the comment and description file with no success.

First it is very hard to find the "url" address of the file, but even when I do it - the link is not working.

Any suggestion? 
Is there is field which allow me to browse out side of RTC and point to a specific file and save the link?

Thanks

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Sep 04 '15, 12:51 a.m.
edited Sep 04 '15, 12:52 a.m.
Not quite sure what you mean the URL is hard to find, and the link is not working.

When you talked about "folders in the company servers", I assume that you were talking about shared drives. In this case, the URL for these files are in the same format. For example, to access the file C:\temp\a.file, you use the "link" file:///C:/temp/a.file (your browser will treat this as a link automatically but of course you cannot open this one correctly).

If you have to use third-party tools to access those files, i.e. you can see those files only in other applications, I think you are out of luck.
Rakefet Berger selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Sep 04 '15, 2:23 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please note that modern browsers might block links likeĀ  file:///C:/temp/a.file. If you want to link to a document, it must be published using a HTTP or other server.

2 other answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 03 '15, 10:58 a.m.
edited Sep 03 '15, 10:59 a.m.
You can use a link in the links section that takes a URL. I think it is the 'related' but I am not sure.
It is usually easy enough to get the URL in a browser by pointing at the link in the brower and copy the URL.

You can also paste the link into a description or a comment and potentially other attributes and get the link created in the wor items links section created automatically from that.

permanent link
Rakefet Berger (43215) | answered Sep 07 '15, 9:45 a.m.
 First thank for your answers.

My scenario:

The user want to add a link to word document which is placed in a shared folder.
I want that other user will be able to point this link and the the word document will be open from its source and not as a download file - this way I will make sure the document will be updated and view from one place.

I've tried to use: file///\\path folder\folder\..\..\document name.doc - but the it open an internet browser and not the windows explorer where the file located (if pointing just to the folder) or not the file itself (if pointing to the file).

The same path I'm doing in excel (adding hyperlink) and the file is opened.

You have any idea what am I'm doing wrong?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Sep 07 '15, 10:49 a.m.

You are working in a browser, so a browser is used to open the file. For the browser this is a legitimate URL and if it opens it at all, it might not think it is locally available.

Please note that modern browsers also might block links like file:///C:/temp/a.file. This is related to security problems and for example Firefox basically ignores these URL's. At least that is what I have experienced the last time I tried this.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.