It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why would local changes be overwritten when delivering?

Andy Jewell (24236374) | asked Oct 29 '13, 11:59 a.m.
edited Oct 29 '13, 12:28 p.m. by Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431)
When I try to deliver with uncommitted changes, I get this message:

C:\Users\O386600\mberelease_preprod>lscm deliver -r local -t "MBE Release" -s "mbe release preprod o386600" -v
Problem running 'deliver':
Cannot deliver because there are 1 items that are not checked in. Check in the changes or rerun with --overwrite-uncommitted.

Of course, I obey and check everything in!  But my question is -- why would uncommitted changes be overwritten in the first place?  If I accept a change, that makes perfect sense.  Just not sure why that is the case for a delivery.  Thanks for any insight!

Andy

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Oct 29 '13, 4:56 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
That looks like it was a poor name for the option. Functionally, it's correct to confirm that you are delivering with uncommitted changes. However, the command does not overwrite your uncommitted changes. It only delivers your changes without checking in the unresolved changes first. I think a better name for the option is "--override-uncommitted" or "--ignore-uncommitted". Your unresolved changes will still be there after delivery.
Andy Jewell selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Andy Jewell commented Oct 29 '13, 6:58 p.m.

Ahhh, so this is not saying your unchecked-in changes will be overwritten, just that they won't be delivered?

Tim Mok commented Oct 30 '13, 9:22 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes, I've tested it out and your changes will still be there after the delivery. It is probably a resused message from the accept case where the accept operation may overwrite any unresolved changes.

Patrick Wagstrom commented Jan 16 '14, 9:58 a.m.

For anyone else that stumbles across this in a Google search. I filed a RTC workitem to fix this issue and to rename the option to something like "--ignore-uncommitted". You can track the progress on work item 297738.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.