It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 502 Customized work item type in child project area expect the further changes from master process area

Mohanraj Ragupathi (54519) | asked Jul 29 '15, 8:03 a.m.
edited Jul 21 '17, 3:57 a.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)

We are using RTC 502 version and have common master process area across RTC repository. In one of the RTC project areas, to meet the customer expectation, the Defect work item type is customized to introduced 2 more new fields. As per their expectation, it was customized. 

Later there is a new field introduced in the "Defect" work item to meet "organization" expectation in master process area. This is not reflecting in the other project area which is customized. 

Is there any way to "synchronize" automatically or using "option", so that this new field from master process area will be automatically added in the customized child RTC project areas. Otherwise it is a manual work for us. Any suggestions?

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 21 '17, 3:58 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

To avoid confusion, I have modified the content of this question to fix the terminology (in particular, replaced the term "template" with the appropriate term, to avoid confusion with process templates and work item templates).

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jul 29 '15, 9:10 a.m.
edited Jul 29 '15, 9:11 a.m.
If you customize the process in a project area that shares the process from another one. The sharing is disabled for the part you override. 

The tool actually tells you this, when attempt to do it. Currently a far as I know only this method is possible to modify the template in the sharing project area without loosing the connection for that section: https://jorgediazblog.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/managing-fine-grain-process-customization-for-work-items-in-rtc-4-0-1/
Mohanraj Ragupathi selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mohanraj Ragupathi commented Aug 05 '15, 3:54 a.m.

Thanks Ralph. I will try this in one of the QA environment and will get back.

One other answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 29 '15, 8:08 p.m.
For this answer, I will assume that by "work item template", you mean "process template".  (There are artifacts in RTC called "work item templates", but based on the content of your question, it sounds like you are asking about process templates, not work item templates).   Another possibility is that you mean "a project area that shares its process with other project areas (that is how Ralph is interpreting it ... if that is what you meant, see Ralph's answer).

Once you instantiate a project area from a process template, the process in that project area is no longer connected in any way with the process template.   So changing a process template has no effect on any of the project areas that have already been instantiated from that process template before it was changed.

If you want to keep the project area processes in sync with some "master process", then you should create special project areas that hold each version of your "master process", instantiate a working project areas from the "Unconfigured process" process template, and then specify that this project area "uses the process" of one of the appropriate master process project area.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 30 '15, 2:39 a.m.

Still, if you customize the process in the sharing project area, you break the connection to the master project area for that section as mentioned in my answer.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.