It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can I get a "Clear, plain example" of when to use Test Data and Execution Variables?

Mahari Hill (4861169230) | asked Jul 15 '15, 9:58 a.m.
I read about Test Data...simple.

However this link:
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSYMRC_5.0.2/com.ibm.rational.test.qm.doc/topics/c_execvar_overview.html

Describes how to use Execution variables...but never why, nor give a clear example of using one. So I asked around, and most people start to explain execution variables, but then can't give me a clear separation of using it instead of Test Data.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Vijay Patil (4813) | answered Jul 27 '15, 2:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Test data are the collection of data records, that are defined before running the test. You cannot modify the test data value at run time.
Whereas execution variables can be created without providing a value before running the test. User can provide the value for the execution variable at run-time depending on the status of the test. To do this, add a execution variable step in the manual script which will prompt user to provide a value at run-time.

So if you know the value of the variables before running the test, then use Test data, otherwise use execution variables to provide a value at run-time.

Thanks,
Vijay.
Mahari Hill selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.