It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Srum process teplate -- CLOSED State Group can be modified to be now an Open category state group?

Isabel Torres (63938) | asked Jul 04 '15, 3:42 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
RTC 5.0.2
Scrum Process Template

I edited the CLOSED State Group to be now "NEW" (as name) and "OPEN" (Category group).

I am noticing that the workitems in NEW Status (which is associated to the "NEW" State group), are displayed as Closed: Workitem icon is grayed out and has a checkmark, and in an a plan they look strikethrough and grayed out.

I am not able to attach images. :-(

Thank you,

Isabel

Comments
Donald Nong commented Jul 06 '15, 1:11 a.m.

Are you doing smoke testing or something? I failed to understand what you're trying to do. If you changed only the group name, it should not cause any issues as you described - I have verified this. Also, the "New" state should be associated with the "Open" state group, not "NEW", even with the changes that you mentioned. I suspect that you may have done more damage to the process configuration than you realized.

Isabel Torres commented Jul 06 '15, 5:26 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

hi Don,

I am not doing smoke testing. I am setting up a production project area for having a "New" state group. By default there are only 3 state groups on the Scrum process template: Open, In progress and Closed. Because of process, I need to have state group named "New", and what I did was to renamed the "Closed" one to be now "NEW" and I changed the "Category Group" to Open... but the states associated to that state group were behaving as the Closed state group. :-(

I changed it back to "Closed", with Closed "category group", and created a new one for "NEW", everything is working fine now.

I am just wondering why it didn't work when I renamed it. :-(

Thank you !!!

Isabel

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 07 '15, 9:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am with Donald Nong here. You might seriously damage your data if you do things like that.

As far as I can tell, a lot of UI depends on having the state groups as they are. Work Item queries would not provide any reasonable answers any more e.g. if you search for resolved work items, or open work items and the like.

If you want a new state group it would be sensible to create a new one, instead of using one that has business logic tied to it. 
Isabel Torres selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Isabel Torres commented Jul 13 '15, 3:07 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Thank you Ralph Schoon and Donald Nong.
I reverted the damage. For the next time, I will create new state groups instead of modifying the existing ones proved by the template.

I really appreciate your time answering to my question.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.