It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Swimlanes within an Iteration

Brian Rodecap (5183) | asked Jun 30 '09, 2:57 p.m.
I am using RTC 1.0 on an agile project with multiple sponsors, working towards quarterly releases.

I have a single Development Line setup for a release (Q1) and several iterations (I1, I2, I3). Under each iteration, I am able to create sub-iterations for each sponsor (BOB, MARY, JOHN) so that they can create their own iteration plans, prioritize stories, etc. They each have their own Team Areas, Plans, Dashboards, etc.

This setup works very well, except for one thing. I can only set one sub-iteration as "Current." Since I'm dealing with one iteration (I1) with swimlanes (BOB, MARY, JOHN), I actually need multiple current. I would love to either set multiple iterations as current or set the top-level iteration (I1) as current and have each sub-iteration inherit.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an iteration type of Swimlane to allow us to create multiple iteration plans for our different sponsors?

Is there any way to accomplish this using RTC 1.0, or is this a new feature request? Thanks,
Brian

3 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Jun 30 '09, 4:52 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am using RTC 1.0 on an agile project with multiple sponsors, working towards quarterly releases.

I have a single Development Line setup for a release (Q1) and several iterations (I1, I2, I3). Under each iteration, I am able to create sub-iterations for each sponsor (BOB, MARY, JOHN) so that they can create their own iteration plans, prioritize stories, etc. They each have their own Team Areas, Plans, Dashboards, etc.

This setup works very well, except for one thing. I can only set one sub-iteration as "Current." Since I'm dealing with one iteration (I1) with swimlanes (BOB, MARY, JOHN), I actually need multiple current. I would love to either set multiple iterations as current or set the top-level iteration (I1) as current and have each sub-iteration inherit.

Wouldn't it be nice to have an iteration type of Swimlane to allow us to create multiple iteration plans for our different sponsors?

Is there any way to accomplish this using RTC 1.0, or is this a new feature request? Thanks,
Brian

Hi Brian

This is probably a terminology misunderstanding on my part - but it sounds like having teams working off the one actual iteration should do the trick. Each team participating in an iteration can have its own plans. Do Bob, Mary and John themselves run teams?

regards

anthony

permanent link
Brian Rodecap (5183) | answered Jun 30 '09, 5:35 p.m.
Thanks for that reply! This appears to be exactly what I need.

My mistake was assuming that I could only have one plan per iteration.

I can have one iteration (I1) and three plans under that iteration (BOB, MARY, JOHN) without having to create sub-iterations. When I mark that iteration (I1) as "current," all three plans are current. Each sponsor can manage their own plan, and the Team Area is associated through the "Filed Against" work item category. Perfect.

Thanks again,
Brian

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Jun 30 '09, 5:53 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for that reply! This appears to be exactly what I need.

My mistake was assuming that I could only have one plan per iteration.

I can have one iteration (I1) and three plans under that iteration (BOB, MARY, JOHN) without having to create sub-iterations. When I mark that iteration (I1) as "current," all three plans are current. Each sponsor can manage their own plan, and the Team Area is associated through the "Filed Against" work item category. Perfect.

Thanks again,
Brian

Excellent - glad that sorted things out for you.

BTW - if anyone starts moonlighting in another team (a person can be part of multiple teams) - the plans all take this into account too when working out load/progress/etc. Very smart.

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.