It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I find source stream of the changeset

Vivek Pandey (4321538) | asked May 18 '15, 12:22 p.m.
 Hi,

Is there any way, by which , we can find out the source stream on which , the changeset was first delivered onto ?

We are using multiple streams , so changset does move from one stream to another. 

So, how do I find the original source of the change or first stream in which it was delivered into ?

RTC version being used V4.0.6

Comments
Donna Thomas commented May 18 '15, 2:07 p.m.

You are not alone in wanting to see this answer. :)

Evan Hughes commented May 19 '15, 4:38 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Why do you want to know the first stream a change set is delivered to? 

Surya Tripathi commented May 27 '15, 3:22 p.m. | edited May 27 '15, 3:42 p.m.

Would you be able to describe your situation a little more? It will be nice to know which stream is the build stream and how other streams are flowing to it. Are the changes flowing automatically or manually? 

When there is a problem with the build, you want to find out the offending changeset which is related to a component. Do you have multiple streams modifying the same component? Typically when multiple streams flow to a build stream, each stream contains outgoing changes for a few components and those components don't get modified in other streams (exceptions may apply). If I am a user and deliver my changes to Stream 1 which then gets promoted to build Stream B, then how do the rest of the streams, Stream 2, Stream 3...etc  will accept those changes? I would imagine, if there was a build failure then the change set I delivered to Stream 1 will stay only in Stream 1 and Stream B. Whatever process you have in place should not allow flow of that changeset to Stream 2, Stream 3...etc.
Once I identify the offending changeset, I can find out the person who made those changes and request for a fix. 
If there was a way to know the 'source stream' what would you do next? I guess, the next thing you will do is that you will find out the changeset and the person responsible for the changeset so you can request a fix. Is there something else that prompts you to know the 'source stream'?

This is what Evan was trying to ask as well. Why do yo want to know the 'source stream'.

2 answers

permanent link
Surya Tripathi (65017) | answered May 18 '15, 2:33 p.m.
 A similar question was asked here - https://jazz.net/forum/questions/142782/how-to-determine-the-workspacestream-and-component-combination-a-change-set-was-delivered-to-using-oslc-rest-plain-java
You can find which streams/workspaces contain a particular changeset but there doesn't seem to be such a thing as 'source stream' of a changeset.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented May 18 '15, 2:41 p.m. | edited May 19 '15, 6:30 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Yes. A Stream can contain data. But which one contains what might change due to rebasing etc.

Changes don't originate in streams either. They typically get checked in, delivered etc from repository workspaces. They can be and accepted from several sources, so it really does not make sense to ask where they came from. Streams are also volatile, you can delete them etc.

If you want to know where a change set is in, use locate change set.

Lily Wang commented May 19 '15, 9:51 p.m.

I agreed this is not possible in RTC 4.0.6. But it may be possible since RTC 5.0.1.

In RTC 5.0.1, a new "Date Added" column is available in the History view which shows the date that a change set is added to the stream/workspace history. (See https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/5.0.1?p=news#AddByInfoInHistoryView)
With this feature, you can use "Locate Change Set" to find all streams that contain the change set. Then open the stream's history and compare the "Date Added" of the change set.
The stream which has the earliest "Date Added" is the first stream the change set is delivered to.

Ralph Schoon commented May 20 '15, 10:43 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Nevertheless, I think that this elevates "Being Added to a Stream" to a level that it should not have, especially because the stream could be already deleted, set to another baseline etc. You can see if a change set is in a specific stream, workspace now, or is (forever) in a certain baseline. You can tell who added it there. That is pretty much all you can.

permanent link
Vivek Pandey (4321538) | answered May 27 '15, 1:01 a.m.
 The question of origin of source would still be needed, especially when you have to troubleshoot or RCA a change , which broke everything.

It also gives exact picture of changes being done in each release / sprint stream, which is not merged from previous or other streams.

So, while Locate change-sets and date added would certainly help, but it requires lot of manual efforts to do that, when you have 7-8 streams or work-spaces.

Comments
Donna Thomas commented May 27 '15, 9:04 a.m.

Also, workspaces are just as volatile as streams are. They are deleted more so than streams in our environment. Besides, you can change the flow target of the workspace to different streams, so it makes it very difficult to trace the change through a stream. The date and locate change set help, but it really should show the stream as well. The stream has much more impact than Mr. Schoon is giving it credit. In trying to locate a change set, it would be very useful to indicate which stream.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.