It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to archive SCM component?

Milan Krivic (98010172139) | asked Apr 19 '21, 6:32 a.m.

Hi,

I want to export SCM Component druign JTS active, but first I need to archive it. What does it mean? Because, I can't find that option, only lock, but this doesn't work.

Kind regards,
Milan

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 19 '21, 8:19 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please explain what you want to do, at the moment I do not understand what you are trying to say. SCM Components can not be archived or deleted at the moment as far as I know. 

Milan Krivic commented Apr 19 '21, 8:44 a.m. | edited Apr 19 '21, 9:16 a.m.

Hi,

I want to export content and import it onto other jazz server. Please read the note in blue box about archiving:

I am looking a solution for exporting content of SCM Component in the context of not turning off Jazz Team Server

Kind regards,
Milan

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 19 '21, 9:15 a.m.
edited Apr 19 '21, 9:16 a.m.

As far as I know, there is no capability to archive or delete components in RTC SCM. There is something in the global configuration management area, which does not apply to the RTC SCM components.

The only thing that I can think of, one can do, to prevent access to a component to be able to export it without concurrent access, would be to change the owner of the component to a special user that is only used to export the component and does not change a component while it is exported.

I find the section that talks about this in the help for the SCM command not very helpful and you could file a request to enhance it with support.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 19 '21, 1:32 p.m.

This is a documentation defect.   I have submitted work item https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/533091 to get it fixed.

In particular, the command to archive a component is:
scm set attributes -C <component UUID> --ownedby <admin user> --visibility  archived
which is documented in:

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Apr 19 '21, 2:41 p.m. | edited Apr 19 '21, 2:48 p.m.
Geoff,

7.3 is not out yet. I looked through the new and noteworthy for all 7.x versions and couldn't find it. I remebered that I had heared soimething about a new feature.

It is such a big difference I wonder why it is not mentioned there. To implement it as a visibility is by no means obvious.

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/elm/7.0.2?topic=set-attributes contains ita s well. My  google search did not help, my more informed search neiter. When I can't find it, and I hear rumors, how do we expect users to find it?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Apr 19 '21, 4:52 p.m.

Hi Ralph,

The exact same comments apply to 6.0.6.1 (and all releases after that).   The only reason I was looking in to 7.0.3 documentation was to see if that documentation bug has been fixed.   The reason it is a documentation bug is that, as you noticed, it is virtually impossible to find ... for example, if you search in the on-line documentation for "archive component", it doesn't show up until the 55'th entry (3'rd page of results), and it would be very hard to guess that this is the entry you want.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.