It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Project move from one server to a new one

Christine Makasy (731123) | asked May 12 '15, 2:05 a.m.
I saw that this question has been discussed several times, but with no real "to do" instructions.
As I read from the outcome there are two ways to do so.
  1. Ex-/Import the process template of the concerned project area. Do some customization as create the team structure (not included in the template), etc. And afterwards move the work items. As far as I understood in this case the work items will have different Ids as in the origin product area. And as a last step flow the current development to a new stream in the recently created project area.

But what about the already created plans, the links between change sets and work items, the file and component history ...?

2. The second recommendation, I saw, was moving of the entire repository to the new server and archiving the not needed project area. But without a "server rename" the url in the artifacts is still the old one.

I know there is an enhancement work item to introduce a feature for a project move.

But for now could you please support me with a "best practice" instruction how to move a project from one server to another.

Many thanks in advance,

Cheers, Christine

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 14 '15, 1:38 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Note that option 2 only works if you have no links (that you care about) to artifacts in the "moved" project areas from anywhere other than from within the moved project areas.
Christine Makasy selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered May 12 '15, 2:37 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as I can tell, the general answer is: there is no way to move a project from one server to an other.

Option 1 can be done, you will loose the history of the work items. Teams have done this and added custom API code to create additional artifacts. I hope @Sam Detweiler will comment here too.

Option 2 was a suggestion that was made in the past (up to RTC 2.x). However, there are some risks involved, if you keep both servers.
  1. You need to do a server rename on the second one
  2. You will have artifacts in both repositories that have the same unique ID's

I am not sure if this is a suggested operation. Consider reaching out to support for an official answer.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.