It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Save steps in RQM and reuse in other scripts

Sunny B (824) | asked May 09 '15, 11:37 p.m.
edited May 11 '15, 5:18 p.m.
We are using RQM and planning to implement RFT for the automation team. As part of this effort, we are writing manual scripts in RQM in a different way. We are using commands like
  get text(fieldname; Execution Variable)
  Set Execution Variable
Example;
   get text(First Name; FNameEV)----to read a value from a field in the screen
   Set FNameEV     -----and setting it into an execution variable.

RFT side will have functions written to read these commands and execute the tests automatically.
Another example is - Enter Text(field name = execution variable)

As you can see I will be using these commands through out the project but the field name and execution variable will vary every time.
The problem with this is, every time testers manually type in these commands, there is a high probability for typos. I have seen people typing in getText(field name; Execution variable ---- missing the closing bracket and there is not a space in between the get and text words.

So I was wondering if we have the capacity to save these commands somewhere in RQM and then drop these commands into the scripts instead of typing in and at the same time I should be able to fill in the field name and insert the corresponding execution variable.
For Example: By a single click, drop this already saved line into the current script
                      Enter Text()
                         Then manually fill in the parameters- Enter Text(First Name = FNameEV; {Enter})
Any help regarding this topic is appreciated. Thanks!                                            

2 answers

permanent link
Lam To (216) | answered May 14 '15, 10:34 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The manual test script editor has a in-memory/session copy and paste steps capability that allows the user to copy step(s) from a script and paste them in the current script, or in any opened test script editors. Copied text can also be pasted into a step via the step editor's cut/copy/paste facility (e.g., Ctrl-C/Ctrl-V)

There's also a keyword construct. A keyword references a test script with a set of common steps that can be reused by other manual test scripts. A keyword is inserted as a step into a manual test script. The keyword's referenced test script steps appear as sub-steps in the script. However, the user cannot edit a keyword's steps in the referenced script.The keyword's steps are strictly read-only in the referenced script.

Hope this helps.

permanent link
Sunny B (824) | answered May 14 '15, 10:57 a.m.
Hello Lam,

Thank you for your response. Currently I am using the copy paste facility. I was looking for something like storing these commonly used steps some where in rational and then inserting those into steps and change it based on the situation. I considered Keyword but I need to edit these steps since I am passing parameters to java functions. I also tried project execution variable where I created a value - Enter Text( , and then another variable for the closing bracket ).
Example: [PEV1] type in parameters you need [PEV2]
               Enter Text( firstName = test; )

We are not sure if it will be recognized as a regular text by the java function. I read about clip board functionality in rational but could not find any thing related to it in the tool.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.