It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migration of classic DOORS migration to DOORS NG and possibly Quality Manager

Mary Miller (87125) | asked Jan 27 '20, 11:55 a.m.
edited Jan 27 '20, 11:56 a.m.

Good day,

There are a set of classic DOORS projects that need to be migrated into DOORS NG.  My impression, from this video, is that Artifact Types and Artifact Attributes do NOT need to be created in DOORS NG ahead of time.

If the Artifact Types and Artifact Attributes are created in DOORS NG ahead of time, does the migration overwrite them?  

There is also some data that would be something that really should be in Quality Manager.  Is it better to migrated everything into DOORS NG first, and then get the testing data moved from DOORS NG into Quality Manager?

Are there any other pitfalls to prepare against before migration?  At this time, I am not sure how complex the data is in classic DOORS.

Sincerely,

Mary

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243150) | answered Jan 27 '20, 12:33 p.m.

Hi Mary,

You can use either ReqIF or the Data Migration Wizard to bring data into DNG from DOORS Classic.

If have done both and found that the Migration Wizard is by far the better option.

Don't create any of the artifact types or attributes. Let the Wizard create everything.

I found that it will do clever stuff like synchronise duplicate attributes defined in multiple Classic modules into a single attribute in the target DNG project without you having to assign matching URL ID values to the Classic AttrDefs (which you would have to do if you tried using ReqIF)

You can also map artifact types and module types using the Migration Wizard but not using ReqIF.

Here are some notes I took comparing the 2 methods when I was doing this.

You won't be able to use either method to bring test data from DOORS Classic into RQM. I think you might have to resort to an XLSX transfer method for the test data.

Mary Miller selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mary Miller commented Jan 27 '20, 5:07 p.m.

Okay, thank you for the clarification!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.