It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to get WI type from Master project area into Consumable project Area?

Pravin Patil (104138133) | asked Feb 24 '15, 2:36 p.m.
edited Feb 24 '15, 10:13 p.m. by Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035)
I have shared project areas.

In master project area, I created a new workitem type following exactly the steps mentioned in http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/custom-work-item-rational-team-concert/.
But I don't see this in the consumable project area.

Please suggest on what needs to be done to get this working.

Earlier conversation: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/174524/using-process-configuration-from-other-project-area 

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Feb 24 '15, 2:47 p.m.
Has the consuming (client) project area made changes to the workitems?  If so, then the client project area is permanently separated from the master project area.

then you would only see the changes in NEW workitems created after the change

Comments
Pravin Patil commented Feb 24 '15, 2:56 p.m.

Hi Sam,

No, I have not made any changes to the consumable project area > workitems.

sam detweiler commented Feb 24 '15, 3:13 p.m.

on the client project, when you open the project area, process config tab, and navigate down to the workitem configuration section.. each topic is greyed out, correct? (means not edited)

and the client project was created with the unconfigured process template, correct?

Pravin Patil commented Feb 24 '15, 4:55 p.m.

Perfect Sam, thanks!

I created new project area, with "Unconfigured template", and now it works :)

sam detweiler commented Feb 24 '15, 5:19 p.m.

yes, that is the way.

I like to describe this as if you use the unconfigured process template, the new project is a shell with nothing, and by using the shared process area it gets to be LIKE the parent.

if you start with a normal scrum template, then the project HAS a definition,  and you cannot use the sharing process  definition to 'replace' the one you already have.
now there 'is a tricky way', in the project that WANTS to use the shared definition,
delete all of the process xml except the xml header line.  then it will have no personality of its own, and can use the parent.  IF you made any changes to the project xml before you  decide to use another, some of those will exist in old workitems (fields) and some will not ( advisors and followup actions, roles, ...)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.