It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Using variables in xml source of a project area process

Luca Martinucci (1.0k397112) | asked Feb 23 '15, 5:15 a.m.
edited Feb 23 '15, 7:38 a.m.
In RTC (version 4.0.6), does the project area xml schema support the use of variables?
I mean this: I would really appreciate if the project area-related information (e.g.: PA name, process template, ...) was saved in (predefined and implicit) variables that can be accessed in specific points of the process xml.
Suppose, for instance, that there is a variable such as ${project-area-name}.
I would like to access its value in, say, a precondition or a followup configuration.
Is this possible?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Feb 23 '15, 7:02 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Preconditions and follow up actions have a special configuration capability that allows to specify configuration values. Without special means, they only have access to these configuration parameters. (See the Extensions Workshop for details). I am not aware that you can, in general, store variables in the process XML.
Since the operational behavior is always working within the context of a special project area, they have also access to all that context information via the item they are triggered by.
Luca Martinucci selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Luca Martinucci commented Feb 23 '15, 7:47 a.m.

My need arose from the fact that I am sharing the process of a "master" project area.
The project areas that use this process have, in general, different parameters that must beĀ  passed to the precondition or followup action (e.g. streams names, components names).
Anyway, I think that the expected behavior can be achieved by using a strict naming convention for these items and by leveraging this naming convention in the extension code.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 23 '15, 7:50 a.m. | edited Feb 23 '15, 7:51 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I have not played with this and weather or not you can/have to overwrite the operational behavior - or the process configuration for it in the client process.

Please share your experience here.

sam detweiler commented Feb 23 '15, 7:59 a.m.

Just like attribute definitions, workflow, and screen layouts, you can also mark the team configuration sections as Final, meaning down stream using projects cannot modify them..
default is NOT final.. unfortunately, this configuration is ALL advisors/participants at once.. so you have to be careful which Role is allowed to save the process space at all.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.