It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What triggers emails on work item creation

Sean Burke (3789137237) | asked Feb 09 '15, 8:11 p.m.
 If I create work items and assign a user as a owner, should they get an email?  If owners are not getting emails, where is the first place to troubleshoot this?

2 answers

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered Feb 09 '15, 9:06 p.m.
edited Feb 10 '15, 8:09 a.m.
Based on my reading of the terms of the users email config

they can get email when they ARE the owner, when some ELSE SUBSCRIBES them to a workitem, or when they are ASSIGNED an approval.

I do not see 'when I become the owner', only when 'I AM the owner'.

so, I think this notification (becoming owner) is not sent by design

On create, ONLY subscribers get email.

edit:  looks like I am wrong on this one. I see the entry in the mail config.. just don't have reliable experience with it.

permanent link
Timo Reiss (209512) | answered Feb 10 '15, 3:08 a.m.
I just tried the following:
  1. As user A, I created a new WI; prior to the initial "Save", I assigned the WI to user B.
  2. As user A, I created another new WI, but this time I did not assign it to a user on creation; only after the WI has been saved, I assigned it to user B and saved the WI again.

User B received Email notifications in both cases:

1. User B received a "full" summary of the WI (i.e., containing Summary, Status, Description, Type, Project Area, Owned By, Subscribed By, Id, Creation Date, Created By, Restricted Access)
  2. User B received on an update information (i.e., Owned By)

Both Emails stated that user B received the respective Email due to user's relationship as "Owner" of the WI.

In summary, this looks like the answer to your question is:

1. Yes, owners are able to get an EMail notification from WI creation / assignment.
  2. If they do not, the place to check is the Mail Configuration in the CCM User Profile (CCM > User Icon > View My Profile and Licenses > Mail Configuration) and check, what "owner" rules have been disabled to prevent your user from receiving the appropriate notifications. (In my case, user B had checked all options in the owner column)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.