It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Everything is "unconfigured" after upgrades


Mike Shkolnik (9657160143) | asked Jan 16 '15, 6:42 p.m.
I upgraded a working 4.0.6 test server to 5.0.1, then 5.0.1.2 (applied ifix 2) then 5.0.2, then 5.0.2.1 (applied ifix 1).

I went to make a change to a workflow only to find that workflow is "unconfigured" and empty. In fact EVERYTHING is "unconfigured". What's even weirder is that aside from not being able to change the configuration of anything, everything is working fine! I can add or change work items, change things in plans, etc. When I add a new work item, I can update it with state changes even though that area of config is empty and says "unconfigured". What step might I have missed in all this upgrading? I did upgrade the client to 5.0.2.1 as well (using Eclipse Kepler with P2) and I did trash the workspace and start again. Diagnostics run successfully on both JTS and CCM.


Comments
Donald Nong commented Jan 18 '15, 8:04 p.m.

Launch RTC with a new workspace, or even use a new copy of RTC client?


Mike Shkolnik commented Jan 19 '15, 3:27 p.m. | edited Jan 19 '15, 3:46 p.m.

Tried so far:

New workspace
Stop/start server
Different projects using different unshared templates
New client (Kepler with ifix 1) and new workspace
New client (Kepler without ifix 1) and new workspace
Remove ifix 1 from server (and stop/start)

New info: When I first open a project, it shows "Roles" at the top just fine. After about 15 seconds suddenly Roles becomes unconfigured and empty.


Mike Shkolnik commented Jan 19 '15, 3:48 p.m. | edited Jan 19 '15, 3:48 p.m.

One thing that does work normally:
Generic RTC client zip downloaded from jazz (which is based on Helios)

So now the question is - what is breaking it?
Kepler?
The P2 file?

Luna & Helios P2 testing next...

5 answers



permanent link
David Greggs (211) | answered Jan 25 '15, 6:05 p.m.
We ran into a similar issue where the url worked correctly for accessing the Jazz Server, but when we used the same address with the RTC Eclipse client we ran into issues.  It seems like the RTC Eclipse client was not able to ignore the use of the proxy where the Internet Explorer use was able to ignore the proxy.  This is programmable in both Internet Explorer and in RTC Eclipse.  When we changed the network connection type from "Native" to "Direct", we were able to connect directly to our server and not have the proxy interfere with access.

Comments
Mike Shkolnik commented Jan 26 '15, 12:29 p.m.

I tried that and it did not work. The only thing that worked was redirecting the jvm to a folder containing old java.


permanent link
Isabel Murakami (3811414) | answered Jan 19 '15, 6:25 a.m.
When you mention "everything", you mean that all project areas are showing as "unconfigured" ?
Are you using Master/Child Project Areas ? Could be that the Master Project Area was missed ?
I do recommend you open a Support Request (PMR) to investigate this.

Comments
Mike Shkolnik commented Jan 19 '15, 3:32 p.m.

No master/child. Result in all project areas is the same. It's fine for 15 seconds and then suddenly everything is unconfigured and empty. Once a project has been opened, all other projects opened are unconfigured and empty immediately - until Eclipse is exited and restarted. Then the first project opened has a 15 second delay again.


permanent link
Isabel Murakami (3811414) | answered Jan 19 '15, 3:37 p.m.

And using Web UI ? Are you able to see the configuration ?

Wondering if you are not facing any kind of connection issue on your Eclipse x CCM. Check your <workspace directory>/.metadata/.log file if there is any significant error being logged at the time you had opened the configuration.


Comments
Mike Shkolnik commented Jan 19 '15, 4:10 p.m.

Yes, the web client works fine. So far it appears to be an eclipse client issue - either with Kepler or the P2 file. More news in an hour...


permanent link
Isabel Murakami (3811414) | answered Jan 19 '15, 5:04 p.m.

Check your network connection configuration -

go to:
Windows > Preferences > Network Connection setting in the eclipse client

If it is using native and you do not have other entries except localhost in the proxy section, change it to direct.

Stop eclipse, clean the %temp% directory (For example: C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Local Settings\Temp) and start Eclipse using a new Workspace.


Comments
Mike Shkolnik commented Jan 19 '15, 7:44 p.m.

The "Direct" setting made no difference.
eclipse Luna has the problem as well.
Clearing temp + new workspace made no difference. To be sure, I cleared out all folders called "temp" and emptied the recycle bin. :)
The log shows no additional message after opening a project.



permanent link
Mike Shkolnik (9657160143) | answered Jan 19 '15, 8:07 p.m.
I figured out the cause, though not the reason. If I copy the jdk folder from the "RTC official client" folder and add the following to my eclipse.ini file for Luna, it works fine:

-vm
jdk\jre\bin

I did try setting -vm to the java 8 bin folder, but that didn't help. This is the first time in 4 years I've had a problem using the "latest java" with RTC. We need to keep our machines updated to the latest java for security reasons. In fact, we have programs that do a security check and won't run if we're behind on java.

It appears RTC 5.0.2 does not work with Java 8 u25 (at least not 64 bit), even though RTC 4.0.6 and 5.0.1 work just fine with it. And it does appear to work for 15 seconds and then fail, which is especially weird. And most of the tool continues to work fine - just the project configuration fails to function.

Your answer


Register or to post your answer.