It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What's up with EE Impact Analysis on IBM i in 5.0?

Larry McCarthy (2102224) | asked Jan 15 '15, 2:43 p.m.
edited Jan 15 '15, 3:01 p.m.

There was a question about EE Impact Analysis for IBM i a while back, but it was never answered, maybe because there were a couple of other questions in the post.

RTC 5.0 (Windows, WAS, DB2). IBM i is 6.1. I've got an EE license.

I've fired up Context-aware Search. Using MailList, under Source Code Data, I run a no-condition query on the stream and I see the list of all 27 artifacts in the iProject.

I select MLGMNUD.DSPF, right-click and select Impact Analysis..., then ask for files that depend on the DSPF, using the (Advanced) Apply Search Path, Language Definition: Build_Display_Files, Build Definition: MailList Dev Build (an IBM i dependency build that works, has build outputs, etc.)

I get ... Nothing. 0 results.

This is strange, because that build definition knows that there are 2 dependent artifacts - QLNKSRC(MAILLIST) and QCLSRC(MLGMNUC) – that need to be rebuilt when that DSPF changes.

Do I misunderstand what Impact Analysis is supposed to do? Or is something configured incorrectly?

Thanks,
Larry.

Accepted answer

permanent link
alfonso rodriguez (121) | answered Jan 15 '15, 4:39 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Larry,

This is working as designed.  I performed a quick search and did not find a Request For Enhancement for this feature; please open one if required.

The impact analysis is currently scoped to the stream and only finds logical (source) dependencies.  This is documented "Note: The impact analysis tool does not retrieve all file dependencies, but only those for files stored in the source control manager ...".

In your example (assuming you are using the MailList application), delivering a change to MLGMNUD.DSPF and rebuilding should indeed result in the re-build of QLNKSRC(MAILLIST) and QCLSRC(MLGMNUC).  Looking at the source code data for QLNKSRC(MAILLIST) and QCLSRC(MLGMNUC) should show their (physical) dependency on MLGMNUD with reference type "* External File".  External file dependencies are not listed in enterprise extensions impact analysis results.

Regards,
Al
Larry McCarthy selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Larry McCarthy commented Jan 16 '15, 10:13 a.m. | edited Jan 16 '15, 10:13 a.m.

Hey Al,

Thanks for the quick and clear response. I created Enhancement 342667, "Enhance Impact Analysis to use IBM i EE Dependency Analysis data".

Forum readers who are interested in this enhancement are invited to comment and/or give it a Vote.

- Larry

Larry McCarthy commented Nov 23 '15, 5:47 p.m.

Melissa Weaver commented Nov 23 '15, 6:34 p.m.

I agree with Larry that this is a needed enhancement.  The Impact analysis does not show any of the dependencies no matter what type.  It has no value as it is for the IBMi dependencies. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.