It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

rtc on windows for iSeries users

Mahari Hill (4861167230) | asked Jun 16 '14, 11:35 a.m.
retagged Jun 16 '14, 7:25 p.m. by Davyd Norris (20221014)
If a group is using RTC and Java on a windows server, can they invite the iSeries team to use the same RTC instance for their work?

The java users are using RTC, or RAD for development, with the Build

What's needed for the iSeries team to get started? (I mean, just the obvious.)

Basics:
Is the iSeries code migrated to the Jazz Repository? or does it stay on the iSeries server?
Can they install RTC on their laptops(win7) and access this code? Or does it only work by using RTC on the iSeries?
Do they need the "build toolkit" on the iSeries, or do they use whatever is available for the iSeries?

thank you

One answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (20221014) | answered Jun 16 '14, 7:20 p.m.
Yes they absolutely can :-)

I have a few clients working just like this and they love it - they are now able to draw a baseline right through their iSeries RPG development, their java and web development and their mobile code.

All code lives in RTC, and the RTC iSeries build is done by an RTC build agent installed on your iSeries box. This will move the code from RTC to the i box, load it into a load library, and then do the build. It will also do the object promotions between your various environment libraries. Typically you would set up the build definitions to build in DEV from an RTC dev stream, and then promote to your other environment libraries on the iSeries when you promote the code to other RTC streams (so the RTC code in a stream matches the objects in the library of the same level).

For the iSeries team to get started they need to be using Rational Developer for i in some form (version 9 is lovely - adds parsers for free form RPG and a bunch of other things), and they install the RTC client into that same shell. They will also need to install an RTC Build agent for i on any server/partition they want to push code to. The RTC server itself can be on any platform.

Finally they will need to move from using the Remote Systems Explorer approach to coding, to using iProjects for their code. This will move your code locally onto their Windows workstation where you can then add the iProject to RTC. RTC then takes over the job of moving code between the developers and the iSeries libraries after that.

I hope this explains things for you! There are some great videos on this site and on youTube that shows how the develop/compile/build/promote cycle works on iSeries. Go to the Library and look for articles and videos with the 'ibmi' tag

PS: The built in RTC build for iSeries is great but if you have applications with serious database-side work being done (lots of SQL, stored procs, embedded dependencies in your RPG etc) then you should also check out the ARCAD Power Pack for RTC. If you're an existing user of ARCAD tools on the iSeries then integrating this with RTC is a super simple step for you, but if not you should check it out. In this case, RTC's Build agent simply transfers code and does the initial compile and then hands over to ARCAD, which becomes the dependency build/promotion/integration engine.

IBM is able to bundle the Power Pack so you can buy it from them if you're not already an ARCAD user.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.