It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to create Nested Lists while defining custom attributes?

Anitha Pathuri (8818) | asked Dec 01 '14, 12:27 a.m.
retagged Dec 08 '14, 2:45 p.m. by Ken Tessier (84117)

Hi,

I need to create a Nested List as follows

Error Type: Application

Batch

Business Process

Cognos Reports

Cognos Reports - Data

Cognos Reports - Enhancement

Cognos Reports - Training

Please help in creating this type of list/

Thanks,

Anitha

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 01 '14, 3:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
RTC does not support nested lists as far as I can tell. The implementation of Categories and iterations are built in. You could use Enumerations but it would only appear to be nested.

Comments
Anitha Pathuri commented Dec 01 '14, 4:03 a.m.

Yes, but let me know the steps to create such enumerations.

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 01 '14, 4:18 a.m.

Process Customization is explained in https://jazz.net/library/article/1093 Lab3.

You would create enumeration literals and make the name appear nested e.g.
Batch
Business Process
Cognos Reports
Cognos Reports - Data
Cognos Reports - Enhancement
Cognos Reports - Training

Another approach would be to use two attributes and enumerations and have a dependent enumeration configured to set the second enumeration. Also see Lab4 in the link above.

Anitha Pathuri commented Dec 01 '14, 7:27 a.m.

Thanks for the response.

Here I have a question, if we are going for dependent enumeration is it possible to display and select the value for second attribute only when "Cognos Reports" is selected in first attribute. Please comment

sam detweiler commented Dec 01 '14, 8:41 a.m.

correct.. that is the function of the dependent enumeration.  select from the 1st list, then get a second list customized to the first list.

create all your enumerations with all the potential values.  then create the dependent enumeration definition.. order the enumerations (more than 1 level is supported, I have build one at 4 levels), then select the controlling value, and all the values of the next that apply.
repeat..
note that the second level can overlap.
one last step is when u define the attribute in the workitem that USES these enums is to specify the dependent definition and the depends on value in the listbox of the attribute definition

permanent link
Ken Tessier (84117) | answered Dec 08 '14, 2:44 p.m.
For more information about configuring dependent enumerations, see Configuring a dependent enumeration value set.

Comments
Anitha Pathuri commented Dec 09 '14, 1:01 a.m.

Hi,

Thank u for the response, I have tried the same but I am having some issue over here that is when I select a value in first enumeration the corresponding values are displayed in the dependent enumeration ,but when I am selecting some other value in the first enumeration then I am getting red bubble beside of dependent enumeration with a message "The selected Value is not applicable" with the previous value selected in the dependent enumeration including the dependent values selected in the first enumeration that is selected for the second time.

Please let me know your response.

Thanks,

anitha

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 09 '14, 2:15 a.m.

This is to  be expected, the dependent enumeration tells you that the value already select does not match the rules after changing the value it depends on. A user has to select a valid value. 

sam detweiler commented Dec 09 '14, 6:42 a.m.

As Ralph mentioned this is how the RTC function works. it does NOT reset the downstream values when you change something above it.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.