It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM 5.0.1 and Oracle 11g. Maximum open cursors exceeded

Ismael Serrano Hidalgo (342712) | asked Nov 14 '14, 7:29 a.m.
 Hi all,

In an environment with RQM 5.0.1 and Oracle 11g as BBDD, I get the following error in qm-etl.log file:

com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.service.rqm - RQMStateETL:execute AQXRE5002E Artifact data was not pulled into the reporting data warehouse because of the following exception: ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded com.ibm.team.repository.common.TeamRepositoryException: ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded

Before arguing with oracle DBAs, do you have any idea about why this is happening, and why the database is using up all available database cursors? What's the default value? What's the best suitable figure for this oracle parameter?

Thanks very much in advance.
ISMAEL

Accepted answer

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Nov 14 '14, 7:48 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
To fix this problem, set OPEN_CURSORS to 1000. OPEN_CURSORS sets the maximum number of cursors each session can have open, per session. For example, if OPEN_CURSORS is set to 1000, then
each session can have up to 1000 cursors open at one time. If a single session has OPEN_CURSORS # of cursors open, it will get an ORA-1000 maximum open cursors exceeded error when it tries to open one more
cursor. It seems the default value for OPEN_CURSORS is 50, but Oracle recommends that you set this to at least 500 for most applications. Applications such as Jazz (including ETLs) may need more and IBM Rational
Support recommend to set to 1000.
Ismael Serrano Hidalgo selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ismael Serrano Hidalgo commented Nov 14 '14, 7:58 a.m.

Great as well as quick answer!

Thanks very much, I will contact oracle DBAs to address this issue and expose your suggestions.

One other answer

permanent link
Ismael Serrano Hidalgo (342712) | answered Nov 27 '14, 10:14 a.m.
 Hi again,

With the parameter to 1000, I'm still getting the same error:
ORA-01000: maximum open cursors exceeded
Just to add that I'm the only one working with RQM in this environment, and performing actions such as creating Test Plans, Test Cases, browse artifacts, running some reports...

Anything else to check? Another parameter to also modify? A higher value of 1000 is considered too much aggresive for the DBA located in the customer.

Comments
Paul Slauenwhite commented Nov 27 '14, 10:26 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I would suggest to open a RQM PMR.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.