It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Linking Requirements in RRC to Test Cases

Pooja Biwalkar (481724) | asked Nov 03 '14, 4:56 p.m.
edited Nov 17 '14, 12:52 p.m. by Douglas Bush (28125)
 Hi,

I have added a RQM test Case as a link to my Requirement in RRC.I wanted to know does RRC provide a functionality where when I have changes to the Requirement in RRC,there would be a notification sent  to update the corresponding linked test case?

So when an Analyst makes some changes to the Requirements,can the QA get notified to update the test cases/script based on the changed requirements?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Maeve OReilly (3813) | answered Nov 05 '14, 4:48 a.m.
 Just re
//.But for that having a Test Plan and Requirements collection is a necessity right? 

Reconcile can be done on a TC level and I guess it's good practice to do that before running it to make sure there are no relevant changes.  

But my experience with RQM, which is really very limited to DOORS 9 - RQM, is that RQM in general works brilliantly on a Test Plan level.  You can have one TC like 'Car will go 0-100 in 5sec'.  You do that test and have lots of fun racing cars.  It might pass for CarX and fail for CarY.  If you are only looking at TC level it would get I think hard to manage. But if you have a TP for CarX, you see the results for CarX only as you execute the TC in the context of CarX's TP.  It's the same TC but in a different plan which makes the different results easier/more intuitive to understand.  

Of course if you are not racing cars you may not have this issue but I just wanted to mention it in case it will arise.  
Pooja Biwalkar selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Pooja Biwalkar commented Nov 05 '14, 1:38 p.m.

Ohk great! thanks so much for your help.How can I use Suspicion Profiles in RRC? Like I have marked a test case as a link to my requirement.So if my requirement has some changes,how can the related test case be flagged as suspect profile accordingly? 

5 other answers

permanent link
Bas Bekker (1.4k4) | answered Nov 03 '14, 5:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Talking from the RRC/RDNG side, the short answer is no, RQM does not support suspicion profiles.

The somewhat longer answer:
RRD/RDNG has the Suspicion profiles capability, which you can configure to monitor changes on RRC/RDNG, RTC and RQM artifacts, and mark requirements suspicious once a linked artifact (another requirement, a work item, a test case etc) is changed. Right now, RQM and RTC do not support suspicion profiles the other way around.

Comments
Pooja Biwalkar commented Nov 05 '14, 1:42 p.m.

Ohk great! thanks so much for your help.How can I use Suspicion Profiles in RRC? Like I have marked a test case as a link to my requirement.So if my requirement has some changes,how can the related test case be flagged as suspect profile accordingly? 

permanent link
Timo Reiss (209512) | answered Nov 04 '14, 2:45 a.m.
edited Nov 04 '14, 7:34 a.m.
Talking from the RQM side, you can always run the "Reconcile" feature on requirement collections:

When you reconcile requirement collections in a test plan, new requirements or requirements that have changed are displayed. You can update the requirements in the test plan and mark the corresponding test cases as suspect. You can also choose not to update the requirement link. If new requirements have been added to the requirement collection, you can generate new test cases or add the requirements to existing test cases to add test coverage for the requirements.
[Reconciling test plans with requirements in the Requirements Management application]

Of course, you'd need to organise the requirements into collections or modules.

However, as Maeve pointed out, the reconcile feature is also available from the requirements tab within a test case, i.e., this feature is not confined to requirement collections, but also extends to test cases linked to individual requirements.

Comments
Maeve OReilly commented Nov 04 '14, 7:20 a.m.

The reconcile is also available on the TC, under requirement links.  

Timo Reiss commented Nov 04 '14, 7:29 a.m.

Maeve is of course correct, the reconcile icon just escaped my attention ;) Thanks for the clarification.

permanent link
Pooja Biwalkar (481724) | answered Nov 04 '14, 1:02 p.m.
 Hi Timo and Maeve,

Thanks for your answers.They were really helpful.I got to know how to link Test cases to Requirements using RQM.But for that having a Test Plan and Requirements collection is a necessity right? 

Can I implement the same functionality using RRC? I have linked a Test Case to a Requirement in RRC using the Validated By field.Now if I make any changes to the Requirements,would the corresponding attached test case get flagged to be reviewed and updated based on the changes? 

We normally don't have a formal test plan set up, so having this functionality being implemented using  RRC instead of RQM would be helpful.Is there a way to achieve that?

permanent link
Timo Reiss (209512) | answered Nov 05 '14, 3:33 a.m.
The reconcile feature can only by invoked from RQM, either for requirement collections on the test plan level or for individual requirements on the test case level. With this feature, RQM will check whether requirements have been updated, added, or deleted and allows to mark the linked test artefacts as suspicious.

From the RRC end, this cannot be achieved. RRC supports suspicion profiles within itself, i.e., it can mark requirements as suspicious if any linked artefact has changed (other requirements, work items, test cases) as Bas explained in his answer.

In short, the answer to your question is: no, RRC cannot mark test cases as suspicious within RQM. Each application is capable of doing so only for artefacts maintained by itself (RQM is capable to mark requirements as suspect, RQM is capable to mark test cases as suspect).

The only way to achieve your goal is to manually mark the associated test case as suspect if a requirement changes. However, you need to ensure that each time a requirement is updated, this step is executed (Open linked test case(s) and toggle the suspect state of the test case(s)).

permanent link
Pooja Biwalkar (481724) | answered Nov 05 '14, 1:38 p.m.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.