It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC integration with Microsoft Project Online

Andrea Maytin (131711) | asked Oct 20 '14, 2:36 p.m.
I understand that RTC integrates well enough with Microsoft Project, but what about with Project Online (Microsoft Project version for the cloud)?.

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 21 '14, 2:44 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am not aware of a special integration for that provided by IBM.

Comments
Andrea Maytin commented Oct 21 '14, 9:21 a.m.

Thanks Ralph. Is there any way to do this integration, maybe through REST services implementation?

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 21 '14, 9:39 a.m.

Andrea,

what is this integration supposed to do? That is the fundamental problem with questions like this one. Just having two product names does not make an integration. If you pick any two random products and propose an integration and ask 10 people what the integration is supposed to do, you get 30 different answers......

What is the leading product? How is this supposed to be working? How much money/time do you want to to spend?

RTC allows to export/import from/to MS Project. True. But, as far as I am aware you will rarely have the same view on the data on both sides. So you will likely and up having to define what the leading system is. There is almost no integration like this that can cover a 100% transformation. For one thing the RTC traditional planning does not have all the capabilities MS Project has.

The available REST or other API's allow to access the RTC work items and their data. Calculated data that is produced in plans is not accessible today, as far as I am aware. There is no public planning API today.

Andrea Maytin commented Oct 21 '14, 10:55 a.m.

Ralph,

Project Online is the main product of a customer that has all their portfolio management (time, resources, expends, etc) with that tool. Now the customer wants a software development gobernability including change and version control, requirements management, etc. integrated with that solution that manages all the projects of the company, having both sides integration.

If the integration can't be 100% that's something that we need to inform, letting the customer know what they'll be able to do using our Collaborative Lifecycle Management Solution for their application development process, but since Project Online is in the cloud, I'm not sure if we are able to show any sort of integration between both solution to show  updates in their online plans.

Any comments on this?.
Thanks in advanced!

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 21 '14, 11:10 a.m.

No Integration I am aware of is 100%

As there is no integration at all today, this is also not really a concern.

If you want to provide an integration, the questions come down to:

• Who should create that kind of integration?
  • Who pays for it?
  • Who will maintain it, once it is created? Who owns it?
  • Who does all the requirement management?
  • Most important, what is the integration supposed to do?
You will have to come up with answers to these questions and this is not something that can be discussed in the forums.

If the customer wants to create an integration, there is access to the work items via REST and Java API.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Oct 23 '14, 10:39 p.m.
edited Oct 23 '14, 10:39 p.m.
There's a good chance that the XML export format produced by RTC can just be imported by MS Project Online (since it would be very much in MS's interest to maintain that kind of compatibility).    Have you tried it?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.