It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

IBM Installation Manager and RLKS install

Mike Rago (2578) | asked Aug 28 '14, 4:31 p.m.
I am trying to install Rational License Key Server 8.1.3 on our RationalCLM Linux server using silent install mode.  RLKS is required for token licensing which we are adopting.

RLKS 81.3. requires IBMIM 1.5.2 or later; they come bundled together.  I tried to install in "non-administrator" mode; this would not work as RLKS would not install if IBMIM was not installed as admin.

I then tried to install as administrator and got the following:
ERROR: Installation Manager 1.4.3.1 (internal version: 1.4.3001.20110504_1325) is already installed at location "/opt/IBM/WebSphere/InstallationManager/eclipse" and is using "/var/ibm/InstallationManager" for its data location.  Use the installed Installation Manager.
I don't think the installed version of IM will work.  Can I update IM without any affects on the installed instance of WebSphere?  What if update is not possible and I must uninstall/reinstall IM?  This is on a PROD server so we cannot uninstall WebSphere, JTS or any other installed packages.

Linux server is RedHat 6.3
WAS is 8.0.0.4
Rational CLM tools are 4.0.1

Thanks,
Mike

Accepted answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k414) | answered Aug 28 '14, 8:14 p.m.
 You can go ahead and _upgrade_ the installed IM to a newer version and the installed point products will not be affected. If you run the new IM in GUI mode without any extra options, it should find the existing one and offer the option to upgrade. If you are stuck to  CLI mode, you will need to find to command to "silently upgrade" IM. Uninstalling IM requires uninstalling all point products it installs, which is definitely not what you want.
Mike Rago selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mike Rago commented Aug 28 '14, 10:01 p.m.

Thanks Donald

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.