It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM NoClassDefFoundError

Ashwath G (6623550) | asked Aug 18 '14, 6:33 a.m.
edited Aug 21 '14, 4:04 p.m. by Stephanie Taylor (24115)
Hello,

We are currently migrated from 4.0.2 CLM to 4.0.6 on WAS 8.5 and DB2.

We are facing an issue with QM, where QM application is unreachable with java lang NoClassDefFoundError
 entry in the qm.log. This happens very frequently.

[qm: AsynchronousTaskRunner-3 @@ 21:04] ERROR com.ibm.team.datawarehouse - java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: com.ibm.team.datawarehouse.common.internal

And other errors too

[ WebContainer : 27] ERROR net.jazz.ajax/AjaxFramework - java.lang.Exception: Evaluation failed for dojo message bundle: dojo.cldr.nls.en.number

Clearing qm.war from WAS temp directory and WAS restart will bring back the application.

We did some test runs to understand the problem in test env , we restarted WAS and observed the QM application status..(3 to 4 restarts) observed that qm is unreachable twice and available after a restart again with out clearing qm.war.

And in second trial cleared qm.war and redeployed . Did 3 ,4 restarts to check the qm status.
But still the issue remains the same....un reachable once.

So what could be the possible cause for this issue. Even we ug graded WAS feom 8.5 to 8.5.5.2 which did not help us to resolve the issue.

Kindly let us know resolutions if any body come across the issue....

Thanks in advance...

Regards
Ashwath Garugula

Comments
Donald Nong commented Aug 22 '14, 12:56 a.m.

There is not much information for others to comment on. What does it mean "unreachable"? What errors do you get on the client side? Are you certain of the cause-effect relationship between the unreachableness and the errors that you quoted? At any rate, it looks like the QM workspace gets corrupted given the information above (by a long shot). If it's indeed the case, that will likely be a system level (file system) issue rather than application level.

Paul Ellis commented Aug 22 '14, 3:38 a.m. | edited Aug 22 '14, 3:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Ashwat,

I am currently investigating a very similar issue for another client.  As soon as I get to the root cause I shall update this forum post.
If you can contact Rational Client Support though, I would recommend it, as I think this issue is going to require additional work that is less appropriate for a forum exchange.

Cheers,
Paul

Accepted answer

permanent link
Paul Ellis (1.3k613) | answered Sep 16 '14, 9:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Sep 16 '14, 9:36 a.m.
Hi Ashwath,

It took a while, but we had to collaborate with a few Java teams to pin this down.
We have now documented the problem in tech note: http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21684531

There are many symptoms, but the key check would be to analyse the following logs for the following strings:
  • Check any application server logs or application logs: jts.log, qm.log, ccm.log, SystemOut.log, or catalina.out
  • Check for a NullPointerException , where the callstack contains any class in the package: org.eclipse.emf.ecore.impl
  • Check native_stderr.log, a Tomcat output or a Javacore, for the Java version.
    The string: 26sr2 , indicates Java 6.0.1 SR 2.
  • The string: jvmxa6460sr16 indicates Java 6.0 SR 16.
So the solution is to ensure you're on one of the following Java versions within Websphere:

For WebSphere 8.5:

Ashwath G selected this answer as the correct answer

2 other answers

permanent link
Paul Slauenwhite (8.4k12) | answered Aug 25 '14, 10:47 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ashwat,

Please open a PMR.

permanent link
Ashwath G (6623550) | answered Sep 23 '14, 2:34 p.m.
edited Sep 23 '14, 2:35 p.m.
Hi Paul,

Thanks for all for writing your valuable solution....We have an open PMR on this issue where the RQM application outage with intermittent errors like NoClassDefFoundError, NullPointerException, IntilaizationException errors.

And Rational support team investigated the problem in various verticals(Java debugging...etc) and concluded for one exception error  NullPointerException is problem with EMF module. and as you suggested they asked us to apply an JAVA 7.0 SR6 IFIX for WAS 8.5.

And seen this error is resolved after fix apply. But still not sure the root cause for NoClassDefFound error yet.

I will update the solution moment we get the solution for support.

Once again thank you for your analysis and time on JAVA debugging and other dependencies.

Ashwath........

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.