It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I create a spreadsheet that can be run from a work item tab?

Frank Brewer (547) | asked Jul 15 '14, 10:50 a.m.
I would like to open a spreadsheet from a work item tab, be able to populate it, then save it and have it linked to my my work item once I save the work item.  I am going to be collecting purchase order information in the spreadsheet.  It may have one line item or dozens.

One answer

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.5k480103) | answered Jul 15 '14, 11:26 a.m.
Hi Frank,
RTC does not provide such information. You can couple options here:

1. Upload new version of the file each time when you save it
2. Store the file in any external location (NFS) and keep only the link of the file
3. (IMO the best one) - store the file in Jazz SCM. Source control management systems are designed to keep the history of the file. You can associate work item to each change set.

Comments
Frank Brewer commented Jul 18 '14, 11:12 a.m.

I believe that no. 2 above is the best solution for me.  However, I still need some help.  I would like to have a "permanent" link (defined as a link to a template file) for each new work item I generate.  One would initiate a purchase request work item, click on the link (to a purchase order template file), complete the information in the template and then save a file with the work item number imbedded.  In other words, one would bring up the template, add information to it and save as (something like) PR-40555 (where 40555 is the work item number).  Any thoughts on how I might be able to add a template file to a work item that is in place when I bring up a new work item?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.