It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CRRRC7153E Unable to acquire display. The value of DISPLAY is 'null'.

Daniel Stefan Haischt (21412322) | asked Jul 06 '14, 3:17 p.m.
edited Jul 06 '14, 3:18 p.m.
Hi,

I am experiencing the error mentioned in the subject line if using CLM V5 together with WAS 8.5.5 on a RHEL V6.1 system. The java.awt.headless property is set accordingly.

Additionally the rm.log file contains this error message:

2014-07-06 21:08:53,585 [               RMDisplayThread] ERROR .ibm.rdm.fronting.server.concurrent.RRSConcurrency  - Uncaught Exception
org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [gtk_init_check() failed]
    at org.eclipse.swt.SWT.error(SWT.java:4109)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.createDisplay(Display.java:902)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.create(Display.java:890)
    at org.eclipse.swt.graphics.Device.<init>(Device.java:154)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<init>(Display.java:499)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.<init>(Display.java:490)
    at org.eclipse.swt.widgets.Display.getDefault(Display.java:1693)
    at com.ibm.rdm.ui.forms.DisplayService$DisplayThread.run(DisplayService.java:149)

Does this happen due to the fact that the WAS app server is running as root. How can this issue be circumvented?

Many thanks and vest wishes!

Cheers
Daniel S. Haischt

One answer

permanent link
Donald Nong (14.5k614) | answered Jul 06 '14, 8:41 p.m.
This appears to be a known issue. Check out this
http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg21410023
If this technote does not apply to your case, you will need to give more details about the issue, such as when the error occurred and etc.

Comments
Daniel Stefan Haischt commented Jul 07 '14, 1:13 p.m.

Hi Donald,

sorry for not providing enough context information. The error that triggered me having a look at the various log files was the converter app being unable to render diagrams accordingly.

Instead I'll get this error:

ID CRRRW8010E  The converter application encountered an error that prevented the graphical content from being created or retrieved. This is usually caused by a configuration error for the converter application. It may have missing dependencies or was not started correctly. Ask your administrator to verify the converter application was correctly installed and configured.

Following the suggested technote didn't solve the issue. I as well remember that RRC versions prior to V5 did not require me setting any arbitrary DISPLAY environment variable including running an additional Xvfb.

I consider the steps provided by the technote quiet unconveniant cause they require running an additional X display session prior to being able to execute WAS.

The technote as well only seems to apply to RRC < V4.

Cheers
Daniel

Davyd Norris commented Jul 07 '14, 9:07 p.m.

On linux system this has always been the case as the converter requires an X frame buffer to render graphical diagrams.

You either need to run the converter.war on a system with X running and available or run Xvfb. For WAS you also need to define the DISPLAY variable inside the server as well - this may be the cause of the problem you are seeing.

Daniel Stefan Haischt commented Jul 08 '14, 5:14 a.m.

Hi Davyd,

I am running WAS on a system that is running a standard Gnome X session and additionally a Xvfb session as described per the technote provided earlier. I as well set the DISPLY variable inside WAS per the technote instructions.

Cheers
Daniel

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.