It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Design Manager / RTC 4.0.1 deployment - same servers?

Chris Ryan (15732428) | asked Apr 14 '13, 2:44 p.m.

Hey all,

I've got a question regarding the deployment of Design Manager with our CLM 4.0.1 installation.

I'd prefer not to set up an additional server to host DM.

I understand that DM can share a JTS server with CLM. Can I also share the same Oracle instance? The rqts for DM state that ojdbc5.jar is required, but the CLM apps require ojdbc6.jar.

Is there any performance hit that would occur with this option, if I could use the same db?

Thanks a million,
Chris

Accepted answer

permanent link
Indradri Basu (1.8k1514) | answered Apr 15 '13, 8:48 a.m.
Hi Chris,

As you might know that odbc5.jar and odbc6.jar are both driver files which the application server uses to connect to the databases. As far as I know odbc5.jar is for JRE 1.5 and odbc6 is for JRE 1.6. Since you are using CLM 4.0.1, conceptually you should only need odbc6.jar for both DM and other apps like JTS/RTC.
Also, you should be able to see the JRE version used by the application from the <application>/admin > Status Summary page.
The performance question cannot be answered so easily. It all depends on your infrastructure and usage.

Chris Ryan selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Chris Ryan commented Apr 15 '13, 8:53 a.m.

That's indeed true about the ojdbc drivers.  Thanks much.

Regarding though the sharing of a database, is it supported?  I don't see in the CLM install docs, or the DM install docs any specific details when sharing an oracle DB.  Sharing tablespaces, users, etc...?

Indradri Basu commented Apr 15 '13, 9:09 a.m. | edited Apr 15 '13, 9:39 a.m.

In an oracle instance, for each application you should create separate databases and for each database one or more tablespaces. See Setting up an Oracle database for more details. The link also guides you about the necessary user creations as well. If the answer is satisfactory, please accept the answer so the knowledge can be used by others.

Chris Ryan commented Apr 15 '13, 2:09 p.m.

What about the data warehouse?  CLM already has a data warehouse tablespace.  Do I have to create another one?  If I can reuse, is there instruction on how to do this?

Thx,
Chris

Chris Ryan commented Apr 16 '13, 1:00 p.m.

I'll gladly mark this response as accepted, if I can get some clarification on the data warehouse question above.

Thx,
Chris

2 other answers

permanent link
Anthony Hunter (4623) | answered Apr 16 '13, 4:33 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The data warehouse is also shared so you do not need a second database, just one data warehouse for CLM and DM.

Cheers...
Anthony

permanent link
dinesh kumar (1) | answered Apr 15 '13, 12:09 a.m.

Yes you can deploy design manager with same server

Comments
Chris Ryan commented Apr 15 '13, 7:45 a.m. | edited Apr 15 '13, 7:45 a.m.

Does that include the database?

"Can I also share the same Oracle instance? The rqts for DM state that ojdbc5.jar is required, but the CLM apps require ojdbc6.jar." Is there any performance hit that would occur with this option, if I could use the same db?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.