It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RRDI - DCC 5.0 - "Delete Fact Table Data" from ODS?

Larry McCarthy (2102224) | asked Jun 29 '14, 4:42 p.m.
edited Jul 09 '14, 4:53 a.m. by Francesco Chiossi (5.7k11119)
CLM 5.0, DCC 5.0 ...

Deleteing data from a data warehouse always makes me nervous. I searched for documentation on the subject, but only found the name of this data collection job listed in the help, like it's listed on the ccm/web page.

Why would I want to "Delete Fact Table Data" from ODS? Maybe to keep it from growing infinitely?

Would I want to run it on a different scedule than the other DCC jobs, just to be sure the data's around if I need it, say for a month? Or would that bork the other DW jobs that use ODS data?

Your thoughts?
Thanks,
Larry.

p.s. - Creating a "dcc" tag

Accepted answer

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Jul 03 '14, 10:00 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
The "Delete Fact Table Data" deletes contents from the F_C_* tables which maintain current metrics that need to be updated during each metric ETL run. Some fact tables that also maintain daily (once a day) historical metrics need to be cleaned up so  we only keep the latest metrics for the current day.
Larry McCarthy selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Larry McCarthy commented Jul 20 '14, 4:59 p.m.

Ah. Thanks, Rafik!

So, the "ODS Fact Table" isn't data in the ODS, it's data from the ODS, ETL'ed to the DW to get cubed. Got it!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.