It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Cloning artifact types and attributes from one RRC project to another

Doris LAU (1267) | asked Jun 19 '14, 7:14 a.m.
I created artifact types and attributes in one RRC (v4.0.5) project and would like to have them in another RRC project which is located in another instance.  Is there any way to achieve that?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kirk Grotjohn (1.2k3) | answered Jun 20 '14, 8:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
There is also the option to import properties from another project.  From the project properties page (of the project you want to add the attributes to), there is an "Import" option at the top of the page.  Now you can only import from project on the same server, so if they are on different servers, you might be able to do this by exporting a project template to the 2nd server, creating a project from that, and them importing properties from that project.  (Hope that made sense).  
Doris LAU selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Doris LAU commented Jun 22 '14, 9:32 p.m.

Thank you for your advice.  Yet, in my case, the 2 projects located in different servers and it hits the limitation of RRC version 4.

In RTC, we may edit process specification after project creation.  Hope that RRC may have similar flexibility in the future.

2 other answers

permanent link
Erica Tran (1.4k7) | answered Jun 19 '14, 3:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Doris,

ReqIF files support artifact types. You can try this to see if it works for you.
4.0.5 Info Center: Exporting artifacts from a requirements project into ReqIF files

If you plan to create a new artifact type to use across new projects.  Then maybe creating a project template with the types would work for your use case.

I hope this helps.

Comments
Doris LAU commented Jun 19 '14, 10:23 p.m. | edited Jun 19 '14, 10:23 p.m.

Hi Erica, project template usually applies for new projects.  In my case, I need to put the new artifact types into an existing project.

Erica Tran commented Jun 20 '14, 11:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Doris,
For existing projects, the ReqIF feature would work.  But you have to select an artifact that contains the new type and attributes created.  After importing the ReqIF file into another existing project the artifact will be created along with the types and attributes the artifact contains.

permanent link
Brian Fleming (1.6k11928) | answered Jun 23 '14, 11:26 a.m.
You use the project template concept, which allows for an export/import from one server to another.  See
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/t_create_proj_template.html
and
http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0/topic/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/t_manage_project_templates.html

Comments
Doris LAU commented Jun 25 '14, 2:30 a.m.

Hi Brian, to create a new project, we can make use of project template.  Yet, for an existing project, it seems there is no way to import new artifact types from a separate instance (or I have overlook it?)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.