It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

non-software project

Toacy Oliveira (31142) | asked Apr 19 '09, 5:36 p.m.
Hi all,

Does any one has any insight of using RTC to control projects other than software projects?
We are planning to have all our processes on a tool and as the development team is willing to use RTC, and to avoid multiple tools, i was wondering if RTC can work for BPMN processes as well.

cheers

6 answers

permanent link
Jakub Jurkiewicz (59632) | answered Apr 20 '09, 4:24 a.m.
Hi all,

Does any one has any insight of using RTC to control projects other than software projects?
We are planning to have all our processes on a tool and as the development team is willing to use RTC, and to avoid multiple tools, i was wondering if RTC can work for BPMN processes as well.

cheers

Hello,

What do you mean by "work for BPMN processes"?
Do you want to create BPMN diagrams in RTC?

Basically RTC allows you to define teams (in terms of members, roles, plans), tasks, plans, reports, it gives you an access through the client and Web UI, so if you need only this functionality you can give it a try! Later you could let the community what your impressions are.

kind regards,
Jakub

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Apr 20 '09, 4:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi all,

cheers

Just to back up what Jakub said - can you give us some more details about what you are trying to do?

RTC work items and plans could be used to manage any kind of project if you want to use it that way. It is not a project management tool as such, but is something you can do.

If you want to manage BPMN models - and you have a tool from drawing these processes, then RTC could store the content as long as they are files.

This does sound like an interesting project, so if you can share some more details, we can try and help.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Toacy Oliveira (31142) | answered Apr 20 '09, 7:07 a.m.
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.
We actually work for a company that is mapping internal processes with BPMN and as BPMN is a process language in the same sense as SPEM or UMA , which are behind RTC, I was wondering if it could handle those processes too.
We are doing some preliminary tests with RTC to control the software team and we were thinking to expand to the whole company to get all processes under the same hood.

The basic idea behind our processes is to come up with an approval workflow to get things done. In this scenario it's good to have reports regarding bottlenecks in the workflow and pending approvals. There may also have a strict workflows to follow most of the time (with no bypasses).
To create such environment in RTC, we must create our own process templates and use BPMN process documentation as an auxiliary file in the same way the EPF or RMC generated site.

I understand this is may be slightly different from a software project with several iterations.

Well.. this is the info I have so far and would appreciate your thoughts on it.

cheers
Toacy

Hi all,

cheers

Just to back up what Jakub said - can you give us some more details about what you are trying to do?

RTC work items and plans could be used to manage any kind of project if you want to use it that way. It is not a project management tool as such, but is something you can do.

If you want to manage BPMN models - and you have a tool from drawing these processes, then RTC could store the content as long as they are files.

This does sound like an interesting project, so if you can share some more details, we can try and help.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 20 '09, 8:35 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You should be able to use RTC to automate/guide your BPMN processes.
If you run into any difficulties doing so, please let us know.

One area that we know needs to be improved is support for the
development of documents that cannot be merged. Some support has been
added via the "lock" mechanism, but more is being planned for post-2.0.

Cheers,
Geoff

toacy wrote:
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.
We actually work for a company that is mapping internal processes
with BPMN and as BPMN is a process language in the same sense as SPEM
or UMA , which are behind RTC, I was wondering if it could handle
those processes too.
We are doing some preliminary tests with RTC to control the
software team and we were thinking to expand to the whole company to
get all processes under the same hood.

The basic idea behind our processes is to come up with an approval
workflow to get things done. In this scenario it's good to have
reports regarding bottlenecks in the workflow and pending approvals.
There may also have a strict workflows to follow most of the time
(with no bypasses).
To create such environment in RTC, we must create our own process
templates and use BPMN process documentation as an auxiliary file in
the same way the EPF or RMC generated site.

I understand this is may be slightly different from a software
project with several iterations.

Well.. this is the info I have so far and would appreciate your
thoughts on it.

cheers
Toacy

kestertowrote:
Hi all,
Does any one has any insight of using RTC to control projects
other than software projects?
We are planning to have all our processes on a tool and as the
development team is willing to use RTC, and to avoid multiple tools,
i was wondering if RTC can work for BPMN processes as well.

cheers

Just to back up what Jakub said - can you give us some more details
about what you are trying to do?

RTC work items and plans could be used to manage any kind of project
if you want to use it that way. It is not a project management tool
as such, but is something you can do.

If you want to manage BPMN models - and you have a tool from drawing
these processes, then RTC could store the content as long as they are
files.

This does sound like an interesting project, so if you can share some
more details, we can try and help.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Apr 20 '09, 8:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback.
We actually work for a company that is mapping internal processes with BPMN and as BPMN is a process language in the same sense as SPEM or UMA , which are behind RTC, I was wondering if it could handle those processes too.
We are doing some preliminary tests with RTC to control the software team and we were thinking to expand to the whole company to get all processes under the same hood.

The basic idea behind our processes is to come up with an approval workflow to get things done. In this scenario it's good to have reports regarding bottlenecks in the workflow and pending approvals. There may also have a strict workflows to follow most of the time (with no bypasses).
To create such environment in RTC, we must create our own process templates and use BPMN process documentation as an auxiliary file in the same way the EPF or RMC generated site.

I understand this is may be slightly different from a software project with several iterations.

Well.. this is the info I have so far and would appreciate your thoughts on it.

cheers
Toacy

Hi all,

cheers

regards

anthony

Excellent explanation - I think I see what you mean now. RTC is not quite a generic workflow system that would be ideal for this kind of work (like say IBM FileNet or WebSphere ProcessServer).

I could see how you could have a controlled lifecycle on work captured as a work item - and have approvals on that. Not sure if the approval process would be strict enough for you. You would definitely be able to plan work, assign it, get approvals.

If you wanted to use some of the RMC work - you could at least create the roles and top-level plan template using RMC (and add a lot more detail) - then generate a web site with the process, and import the roles and plan into an RTC process template.

Definitely tell everyone how you get on with this (and ask more questions if you need help)

anthony

permanent link
Toacy Oliveira (31142) | answered Apr 22 '09, 11:28 a.m.
Hi ,

After analyzing a bit more of the company's processes my biggest concern is how to use RTC projects to represent on going workflows.
For example when you buy a book at Amazon, there is no project associated with such activity. However there are time constraints, book availability constraints etc, that must be met before the book is shipped. The BuyBook procedure isn't part of a project with deadlines, iterations, etc.

As fas as I know RTC only deals with Projects but I'm not sure how it will deal with a project that never ends.

Any thoughts?

cheers

I could see how you could have a controlled lifecycle on work captured as a work item - and have approvals on that. Not sure if the approval process would be strict enough for you. You would definitely be able to plan work, assign it, get approvals.

If you wanted to use some of the RMC work - you could at least create the roles and top-level plan template using RMC (and add a lot more detail) - then generate a web site with the process, and import the roles and plan into an RTC process template.

Definitely tell everyone how you get on with this (and ask more questions if you need help)

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.