It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there any side effect of removing Constraint Type and Constraint Date from a work item?

Maria Victoria Martinez Torino (14924559) | asked Jun 03 '14, 4:50 p.m.
In my RTC configuration, I have a WI type defined as "Task" from which I was requested to remove both "Constraint Type" and "Constraint Date" from the WI configuration.
In addition, this "Task" WI type is used to build Work Breakdown Structure, as child (and also as "Execution Item") of a parent WI type categorized as "Plan Item".

My concerns here are the following:
Is there any side effect of keeping those attributes out of the Task?
Is there any consequence of this in regards of planning?

Thanks in advance!
Vicky

Accepted answer

permanent link
Lily Wang (4.9k714) | answered Jun 03 '14, 8:48 p.m.

Hi Vicky,

Without the constaint type and constaint data, you will lose the schedule constaint for the Task work items which has the impact on the schedule calculation of a plan. Please see the explanation from https://jazz.net/library/article/663#ScheduleConstraints

In addition, the critical path is also calculated using constraints and other attributes.

Is there any special reason you want to remove the "Constraint Type" and "Constraint Date" from Task? You can think about to hide the attribute with a default value (such as "As Soon As Possible") assigned for the task work items.

Maria Victoria Martinez Torino selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Maria Victoria Martinez Torino commented Jun 04 '14, 8:58 a.m.

Hi Lily,
There was a time when the customer wanted to remove those attributes from one of the WI types and that is why I wanted to know better the consequences of doing that.
I think your argument is good enough for keeping the two attributes as part of the RTC configuration.
Thanks!
Vicky

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.