It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why Can't I link Artifacts Across Modules?

Nate Decker (37814761) | asked May 16 '14, 8:25 a.m.

A core function in RRC is the ability to link one artifact to another. This is the basis for all of the traceability and is presumably a central part of the tool. I am currently having a problem where RRC is disallowing me from linking one artifact to another and it isn't clear why. I've tried to diagnose the issue for a while, but I am completely out of ideas at this point and decided I should ask the universe.

I have two Modules: Module 1 and Module 2. Within Module 1 I have artifact A and Artifact B. Within Module 2 I have Artifact Y and Artifact Z.

I am able to link Artifact A to Artifact B. I am also able to link Artifact Y to Artifact Z. However, I am unable to link Artifact A to Artifact Y (across modules). The error message that RRC gives me is:

"Error 403: Forbidden"

Module 1 is in a folder assigned to team "System Design" and I am a member of that team. Module 2 is in a folder assigned to team "Subsystem Design" and I am also a member of that team. I have tried multiple link types, but the same error message is displayed for all that I have tried.

We have a "Systems Engineer" and "Subsystem Engineer" role. Both roles have permissions to "Save Link" (Create, Delete and Modify). Both roles have permissions to Modify an artifact of the type being used in each of the two modules.

What am I missing here? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2 answers

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered May 16 '14, 9:12 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This definitely sounds like a permission problem, across the different team areas. Now this might be a bug but first a few questions
  1. What product version are you using?
  2. What role do you have in the project area?
  3. Do the folders containing the modules have the same assigned team ownership as the artifacts created in the module, and any sub-folders?
  4. What happens if you try to link to a requirement that is not in a module but contained in the same folder as the module to which you are trying to link and has the same team ownership as module (and its artifacts)?

From your description above you have set the right permissions and team area ownership, as evident that you can create links between artifacts in the same module. Hence trying to see if the linking is a problem between only module artifacts or any artifact across team areas.

If everything seems reasonable then a defect might need to be raised with Tech Support.

Comments
Nate Decker commented May 16 '14, 9:47 a.m.

Product Version: 4.0.6 (Build I20140203_1432)

Roles in the Project Area: Administrator, Systems Engineer, Subsystem Engineer, Configuration Management

Module 2, Artifact Y Ownership: Subsystem Team
Module 1, Artifact A Ownership: Systems Team

Teams of which I am a member: System Team, Subsystem Team

Roles within System Team: Administrator, Systems Engineer, Subsystem Engineer

Roles within Subsystem Team: Systems Engineer, Subsystem Engineer

As for your requested test, I created a new artifact within the same folder as Module 1 (but not as part of the Module). I created the new artifact using the same artifact type as Artifact Y in Module 2. I was able to successfully create a link from Artifact A in Module 1 to the newly created artifact in the same folder as Module 1. I then added the newly created artifact to Module 2 using the "Add Existing Artifact" dialog. This was successful. So I now have an artifact in Module 2 linked to an artifact in Module 1. Finally, I moved the newly created artifact to the same directory as the artifacts in Module 2.

Nate Decker commented May 16 '14, 9:56 a.m.

I decided to do a more exhaustive test of the link types. Some of them actually are working, but others are not. The following link types seem to be permitted:

Extracted/Extracted From
Parent Of/Child Of
Link To/Link From

The following link types do not work:

Implementation of Requirement/Requirement Implementation
Requirement Verification/Verifies Requirement
Satisfies/Satisfied By

Robin Bater commented May 16 '14, 10:27 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Now the following link types

Implemented By/Implements  are only for links to work items in CCM
Verified By/Verifies are only for links to test case in QM

But Satisfies/Satisfied By should work between requirements.

Here is a help topic that provides an overview of the link types

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m6/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Fr_linktypes.html

There is also this OSLC V2 specification that might also help as well

http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/RmSpecificationV2?sortcol=table;up=#Resource_Requirement

Robin Bater commented May 16 '14, 10:41 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

This help page on the link types available in cross domain (RM,CCM, QM, DM) linking might also help

http://pic.dhe.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v4r0m6/index.jsp?topic=%2Fcom.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc%2Ftopics%2Fr_rm_link_domains.html

permanent link
Nate Decker (37814761) | answered Jul 17 '14, 10:14 a.m.
By way of update on this post, I submitted a defect on this and it was revealed that this was a known IBM bug in our version (4.0.6). The issue specifically relates to custom-defined links and using them across modules. I've been told that this has been fixed in 5.0.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.