It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Test Plan: What is the optimal setup to cater for multiple application releases

Stephen Meehan (23144) | asked May 13 '14, 8:41 a.m.
I have a test plan for the 1.0 version of our application.  My question is for the 1.0.1 and 1.0.2 versions what is the best way to setup the test plans?  For example, I can create 1.0.1 as a child of 1.0 and that way it inherits the test cases from 1.0, so far so good but the problem is that I can't create a child of 1.0.1 for the 1.0.2 version (the inheritance only goes 2 generations deep).  So what do IBM recommend in this scenario?

Thanks,
Stephen

Accepted answer

permanent link
David Mehaffy (90123338) | answered May 13 '14, 10:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
 The way we do it is have a category in the test plan for release and set that to the release we want to plan for.  You can use the duplicate function on the test plan to create a copy.   This will create a new test plan with all the test cases linked to it.  We will rename the test plan to have the release date in the title for example:  System Test Plan:2014-08 so it is easier to find by filtering - like we may have multiple test plans for 2014-08 and just by putting that in the filter on the right we can see all the test plans for that release.  Once you have the copy you can edit it add or delete test cases, create a new timeline for it, and create TSERs and TCERs for the plan.  In the future there will be a better way to do this with versioning but this works quite well (for us) at the present.
Stephen Meehan selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.