It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Compare a file with a different stream and obtain CS

Nicolas Dangeville (31632525) | asked May 06 '14, 12:55 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I have this use case :
I am going to start development on a file in a development stream. I have my repository workspace in synch with the dev stream.
Before I start my development, I want to make sure there has not been any change in the maintenance stream on that file. If there's a change, I want to try an accept & merge, so that I start with the latest fixes.

My plan was to perform a compare... remote on the file and target the maintenance stream. That tells me if there's a change or not and the nature of the differences. But I have not found an easy way to get to the change set(s) and accept it/them. I don't want to compare at component level because there are many changes on other files that I don't care about.

I could go and look at all CS for the file in the repository but it does not tell me the ones in the maintenance stream vs the ones elsewhere. I'd have to do locate on them to be sure. I was hoping to obtain the change sets from the compare/remote operations directly. Is that possible ? Is there a better workflow ?

Thanks

Nicolas

One answer

permanent link
sam detweiler (12.5k6195201) | answered May 06 '14, 1:05 p.m.
I would change your workspace to flow to the maintenance stream instead the dev stream you loaded from.
And then the pending changes view in eclipse will show  any differences.

once you do this however, you will probably have troubles synching with the dev stream, as it won't contain
any changes from the maint stream either..  so eventually (or quickly) you will have conflicts.

Comments
Nicolas Dangeville commented May 06 '14, 1:28 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't want to accept all from maintenance, I'd like to accept only the ones related to the file I'm working on. My concern here with flowing to the maintenance stream is that I'll have many change sets on other files that I don't care about, and it might actually be difficult to find the relevant change sets that I want to accept.

sam detweiler commented May 06 '14, 1:31 p.m.

I didn't say Accept ALL.. once connected you should be able to use the change explorer to see the individual changes. then decide what to do . note that one changeset might span multiple files.
also you might have to manually copy the changes.. tho that will also present challenges later on

Nicolas Dangeville commented May 06 '14, 2:33 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

OK, but let's say I've got 5000 files in this component, which is small. I've got 10% of changes in maintenance, so that would make 500 changed files, which changes would be spread across 300 Change sets, maybe more when there are several cumulated changes. I care only about getting the change sets related to one single file. So I have to find the change sets about my file and ignore all the others. I don't want to explore 300 change sets to find the 1 or 2 I need to accept.
I was hoping to use a workflow driven by the file instead. Remote compare looked promising.

sam detweiler commented May 06 '14, 2:39 p.m.

you should be able to navigate to the file (show repository files, show history, open change explorer)..
least I can here on my dev system

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.