It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Unable to compare files when a Gap + Name Conflict occurs.

Leonardo Marzo (24964852) | asked May 20 '14, 1:59 p.m.
edited May 20 '14, 2:04 p.m.
 Hi, 

I have the following scenario:
User 1 creates Hello.java and delivers it to STREAM A:

User 2 creates a file with the same name in the same directory,  but delivers it to STREAM B

User 2  modifies Hello.java and delivers a new change set to STREAM B

User 1 tries to accept ONLY the latest change set that modifies the Hello.java but in STREAM A.

User 1 sees the Gap Editor:
User 1 right click 'Content Modified' and invokes "Open In Compare Editor". However, the Compare editor is not shown, I get this message instead:
As per this documentation: https://jazz.net/library/content/articles/rtc/4.0.5/scm-merge-gap/#MergeQueue, it should be possible to compare both files in the Compare editor. Do you know why it doesn't work form me?
I´ll appreciate your help!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered May 21 '14, 1:08 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Currently, you cannot use merge with gaps from a file that does not exist in the workspace. 
A couple of workarounds you can use:

If the evil twin is in your workspace, and the incoming evil twin is in your team stream:
- Suspend the change set(s) that created your evil twin
- Accept the incoming changes
- Resume your suspended change sets, which will pop up the usual process for resolving evil twins, and use the editor to keep the changes that you want from the respective evil twins.

If the evil twin is in some location other than your team stream:
- Create a patch of the change set from the evil twin that you want applied
- Apply that patch to your workspace.

I've also submitted work item Extend the gap-merging wizard to handle incoming changes from an evil twin. (316860) to request the gap-merging wizard be enhanced to handle this case.
Leonardo Marzo selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Leonardo Marzo commented May 21 '14, 8:34 a.m.

Thanks Geoffrey. I´ll subscribe to the work item. 

David Lafreniere commented May 21 '14, 12:09 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Leonardo, both you and Geoffrey are correct. The Gap editor does not yet support merging the "(Name Conflict)" cases, or viewing the two different files in a compare editor. The only options are to either ignore the change and keep what is on disk, or to overwrite the existing file with the proposed file.

As you mentioned, the article does indicate that a two way compare would be possible, however it is not. I will update the article to correct this.

On top of what Geoffrey already mentioned about workarounds; if the user needs to see the content changes from the source change set, they can open up the source change set in the Change Explorer, and double click on the file representing the 'evil twin' (Note: As a convenience, at the top of the editor there is a "Source Change Set" hyperlink that will open the source change set in the Change Explorer).

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.